We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
The Copper Fit Pro Back Belt Compression Brace aims to support the lower back muscles. It can alleviate muscle soreness in the back due to sports, physically demanding jobs, or other strenuous activities.
Back pain is one of the
- physical inactivity
- being overweight or having obesity
- older age
- physically demanding jobs
- sedentary lifestyles
A person with back pain may experience a dull ache across their whole back or sharp pains in specific areas. The type of pain an individual feels can depend on the cause of their back pain.
Back pain can also cause pain in other areas of the body, such as the abdomen, buttocks, and legs. It may also worsen when a person engages in certain activities or movements, such as lifting, bending, or standing.
Back supports aim to reduce pressure on the spine by providing stability. This can allow the muscles around the spine to relax, potentially reducing pain.
People used to believe back braces could weaken muscles in the back, making a person more susceptible to back injuries and pain over time. However, a 2017 literature review concluded there was insufficient evidence to suggest these supports cause muscle weakness.
However, a person with back pain may wish to contact a doctor before wearing a back brace to make sure it is right for them and that it can address their back pain.
Additionally, people with scoliosis could benefit from wearing a back brace during childhood or adolescence to encourage proper spinal alignment while they grow. Scoliosis is a condition that causes the spine to curve to one side.
However, back braces for people with this condition are more specialized than those widely available online. Additionally, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons states that braces for spinal conditions, such as scoliosis, are only effective in individuals who have not reached skeletal maturity.
Copper Fit is a fitness brand that provides performance clothing, braces, compression sleeves, and sports therapy devices for athletes of all levels and people who live active lifestyles.
The company does not have accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has no reviews on Trustpilot. The BBB is an independent body that sets standards for trust and ethical business practices.
Despite this, the Copper Fit back brace has positive reviews on Amazon, with an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
These users mentioned a reduction in back pain while wearing the back brace, which was also easy to put on and adjust. However, negative reviews reported that the brace had poor-quality stitching, which came undone after a few uses.
According to the manufacturer, the Copper Fit Pro Back Belt Compression Brace works by providing targeted support to the muscles to relieve soreness and reduce recovery times.
There are four stabilizing supports built into the back brace that support the lower back. Additionally, there are adjustable straps a person can use to secure the brace close to their body and provide the level of compression they require.
This product is suitable for people who lead active lifestyles, play sports, or work in jobs that place stress on the lower back. The back brace is suitable for individuals with a waist size between 28 and 50 inches.
To wear the Copper Fit Pro Back Belt Compression Brace, a person wraps the brace around their abdomen and lower back and tightens the adjustable straps to their desired level. The velcro straps help make sure the fastenings are secured.
A person can wear the back brace under or over their clothes. It consists of lightweight, moisture-wicking material infused with copper to help resist odors. Some research in 2014 suggests copper is an effective antibacterial and antifungal material that reduces the risk of infections in hospital settings.
The Copper Fit Pro Back Belt Compression Brace offers several advantages:
- adjustable compression level
- includes four supports
- uses copper-infused fabric to fight odors and bacteria
- can fit under or over clothing
- eligible for flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts
However, this brace does have its disadvantages. One is that it only comes in two sizes, including small-medium and large-extra large. Secondly, customer reviews have mentioned poor quality stitching.
The Copper Fit Pro Back Belt Compression Brace is available on the Copper Fit website, Amazon, Walmart, and Target for under $20, excluding shipping.
A person may wish to consider other brands and types of back braces before making a purchase.
Alternative back supports to consider include:
- Shock Doctor Ultra Back Support: This back support is suitable for people with moderate-to-severe instability and pain. It can reportedly help individuals with ligament sprains. The Shock Doctor support brace features built-in stability supports and silicone grips to help prevent it from slipping. However, it may be unsuitable for people with a latex allergy. Learn more here.
- Mueller Lumbar Support Back Brace:This back brace features a removable lumbar support cushion, so a person can adjust the level of lumbar support they need. Four built-in steel springs support an individual’s lower back and limit their ability to make undesired movements. Learn more here.
- Braceability Work Back Brace for Heavy Lifting: This back brace is suitable for people who do a lot of heavy lifting. It comes with removable shoulder straps to provide additional support. This brace reportedly encourages safe lifting techniques and is suitable for those working in construction, landscaping, or bricklaying. Learn more here.
A person may wish to contact a doctor if they have back pain following an injury or accident.
If an individual has severe back pain that does not improve within a
Additionally, people may wish to seek medical advice if they develop the following symptoms:
- numbness or tingling
- severe back pain that does not improve with medication
- back pain after an injury or fall
- trouble urinating
- weakness, pain, or numbness in the legs
- unintended weight loss
The Copper Fit Pro Back Belt Compression Brace offers lumbar support for individuals who lead active lifestyles, play sports, or have jobs that place stress on their lower back. It aims to reduce back pain and pressure on the spine and provide targeted support to the lower back muscles.
Though the company lacks BBB accreditation and Trustpilot reviews, this back brace generally has positive reviews on Amazon. It is widely available to purchase online.
If a person has long-term back pain or a recent back injury, they may wish to consider speaking with a doctor to find appropriate treatments and management techniques.