We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
The Coway air purifier line includes roughly 20 different models. Based in the Republic of Korea, the company manufactures a range of air purifiers for a variety of room sizes. Some models have specific technical adaptations, such as a Wi-Fi connection.
- Best all-around air purifier: Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- Best for large rooms: Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier
- Best connected air purifier: Coway Airmega 300S
- Best for smaller rooms: Coway Airmega AP-1216L
- For an award-winning design: Coway Airmega 150
Indoor air quality can have a significant impact on human health. But indoor air is not completely protected from contaminants that plague the outdoors, such as pollution, pollen, and smoke from wildfires. Homegrown contaminants, such as tobacco and pet dander, make it worse.
Portable indoor air purifiers, like a Coway air purifier, can help improve indoor air quality and human health.
Founded in 1989, Coway is a multi-national home wellness appliance manufacturer based in the Republic of Korea. Coway USA, an overseas subsidiary, is based in Los Angeles, California.
In addition to the Coway air purifier line, the company also sells a wide range of water purifying appliances, and self-sterilizing bidets.
Coway has a research and development center which they claim has:
- 366 leading researchers
- at least 8,285 patents for water and air appliances
- over 300 billion data points from over 40,000 homes relating to air quality
The company also states that as of 2018, they have recycled around 6,000 tons of plastic.
Price range for a Coway air purifier
Because Coway air purifiers come in many different sizes, they have a wide range of prices that begin at roughly $190 and reach around $750.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) does not accredit Coway, but they do give them an A+ rating. The company has 1.5 stars out of a possible 5 on the BBB website based on two reviews. Coway has closed 14 complaints over the last 3 years with the BBB.
Less favorable comments note faulty items, with more positive comments advising of a reasonable complaint resolution.
Here, we look at some of the most popular and highly recommended Coway air purifiers and provide more detailed information on selected models and highlight the range of options available. These specific models were selected because they received particularly high ratings from several online reviewers.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
According to Coway, this small, yet powerful, air purifier is suitable for rooms up to 361 square feet.
Its four-stage filtration system removes particles and odors. The system includes a washable pre-filter, a deodorization filter, a True HEPA filter, and a vital ionizer. The automatic airspeed control increases airflow based on indoor air quality.
Some online commenters noted that the pre-installed filters came wrapped in plastic, so they needed to remove the filter, remove the plastic, and then reinstall it in order for the unit to function.
With a virtually silent fan when operating at low speeds, this unit can remove up to 99.99% of airborne particles down to 0.01 microns. It can also remove up to 99% of volatile organic compounds and fumes.
Equipped with automatic, sleep, and eco modes, as well as air quality monitoring, the unit can clean the air inside a 1,560-square-foot room twice in 1 hour, when used as directed.
This unit is equipped with Wi-Fi, and individuals can use the company’s mobile app to control it with their mobile devices.
It has a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 285 for smoke, 306 for dust, and 339 for pollen. It can provide two air changes 1 hour, in a room that is 1,256 square feet.
In the auto mode, the purifier adjusts the fan speed depending on air quality. In sleep mode, it reduces noise and power use after it detects clean air and darkness for more than 3 minutes.
Made with small spaces in mind, this unit can provide a CADR of 213 for smoke, 235 for dust, and 262 for pollen in rooms up to 330 square feet.
The 4-stage filtration system packed into its tower design includes a washable pre-filter, odor filter, True HEPA filter, and a vital ionizer.
This machine also has a filter replacement indicator that lets a person know when it is time to replace or wash their filters.
Available in Dove White, Sage Green, and Peony Pink, this air purifier has won a number of design awards.
Its compact unit features a three-stage filtration system with a washable pre-filter, a deodorization filter, and a Green True HEPA filter.
It can provide up to 214 square feet of coverage and has a CADR of 138 for smoke, 161 for dust, and 219 for pollen.
The table below shows warranty information for all Coway air purifiers.
|Model||What is covered?||Warranty period|
|All products||All functioning, internal parts|
|1 year from the date of retail purchase|
AP-1216L, 150, and AP-0512NH
|All motor and electronic parts|
|3 years from the date of retail purchase|
|Airmega: 400S, 400, 300S, and 300||All motor and electronic parts|
|5 years the date of retail purchase|
Individuals interested in alternatives to a Coway air purifier can explore:
- Blueair: This Swedish-based air purifier manufacturer uses a combination of electrostatic and mechanical filtration to remove particles as small as 0.1 microns, capturing contaminants and killing viruses and bacteria while claiming to use less energy and make less noise than other brands.
- Honeywell: Honeywell manufactures a variety of different air purifiers made with HEPA or Permanent Washable filters and designed to address multiple contaminants in different-sized rooms. The company has a reputation for making good quality, reasonably priced products.
- Winix: A multinational corporation manufacturing healthy home appliances, this company makes 10 different air purifiers designed for small, medium, and large rooms. Their approach to filtering air includes a washable pre-filter, a washable carbon filter, a True HEPA filter, and PlasmaWave air cleaning technology to remove bacteria and viruses.
A person may spend a significant amount of time indoors, but outside contaminants can affect indoor air quality, as well as those coming from inside the home, such as pet dander, tobacco, and other odors.
Coway — a home wellness appliance manufacturer based in the Republic of Korea — manufactures a range of air purifiers for different sized rooms.
Some models have specific technical adaptations, such as a Wi-Fi connection.