We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Ozempic is available from several telehealth platforms. All of these services require an online consultation with a healthcare professional before prescribing the medication.
- Best for a weight loss program: Ro | Skip to review
- Best membership option: K Health | Skip to review
- Best for choosing a doctor: Sesame Care | Skip to review
- Best for state availability: PlushCare | Skip to review
- Best for metabolic testing: LifeMD Weight Care | Skip to review
- Best for a psychological approach: Noom Med | Skip to review
- Best with quarterly at-home lab tests or supplements: Everlywell Weight Care+ | Skip to review
- Best for yearly membership: Calibrate Metabolic Reset | Skip to review
Ozempic (semaglutide) is available online through several telehealth companies. This medication is prescription-only, meaning healthcare professionals must determine that Ozempic is the best drug for a person’s needs before they can fill out a prescription. Most telehealth companies will send the prescription to a person’s local pharmacy.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) drug shortage database states there is currently no shortage of Ozempic.
Buying Ozempic online can be more convenient and quicker than making an appointment at a doctor’s office. However, it is important to only use reputable telehealth services with qualified healthcare professionals on their platforms.
Best for overall health: Calibrate
The following table compares the telemedicine companies in this article on price, appointment cost, and other resources.
|$145 per month
|• health coaching
• weight loss program
|$49 per month
|varies by doctor
|$10 per month
|• free lab or blood test
• $10 off dental and primary care
|$129 without insurance
|$16.99 per month
|• unlimited messaging
• discounts on lab tests
|$129 per month
|• metabolic testing
• ongoing physician care
|$91 per month
|• health coaching
• weight loss program
• food tracking app
|from $99 per month
|• regular 1:1s
• app access
• at-home test kits
• articles and prompts
|$1,749 per year
|personalized video coaching
Medical News Today chose Ozempic suppliers that meet the following criteria:
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)regulations.
- Safe practices: All companies in this article require at least one consultation with a healthcare professional to prescribe Ozempic, and many offer follow-up visits to monitor responses.
- Membership options: All telemedicine companies offer membership options that may save people money over the long term.
- Insurance coverage: All companies will work with insurance companies to receive as much coverage for the cost of Ozempic as possible.
Factors to consider when purchasing Ozempic online include:
- Reputable supplier: People should only use a telemedicine company that uses board certified healthcare professionals and requires consultations before filling prescriptions. They also need to avoid websites that promise cheap Ozempic without a prescription.
- Insurance coverage: People with insurance may wish to consider using companies that accept coverage for the cost of the medication. Some telehealth services will have insurance concierges that work with insurance companies.
- Appointment price: While telemedicine can be more convenient than in-person appointments, prices vary widely. It is important to check how much an initial consultation and follow-up visits will cost. Some companies will offer membership prices, which can bring down the price.
People can only get a prescription online through a healthcare professional. The safest way to contact a healthcare professional online is through a telemedicine company that employs board certified doctors.
The following are the steps most people will take to receive a prescription online:
- Choose a telemedicine company: Factors to consider include state availability, insurance coverage, and appointment and medication costs.
- Sign up online: People need to fill in their names, addresses, and health history. Companies will often ask for billing information at this stage.
- Wait for an initial consultation: The time it takes from signing up to a consultation may vary by each company. Some places, such as Sesame Care, allow people to choose which healthcare professional they talk with.
- Receive a prescription: If a healthcare professional believes Ozempic is suitable for a person’s needs, they may require a lab test and then prescribe the medication. Most companies will send the prescription to a person’s local pharmacy.
- Pick up the prescription: People can pick up Ozempic at their local pharmacy.
Buying any medication online offers advantages and disadvantages.
- people can schedule and complete a consultation with a doctor without leaving their homes
- most companies offer membership plans, which may be more affordable than seeing a doctor in person
- many companies accept insurance for primary and urgent care
- people can pick up their medication at a local pharmacy, sometimes on the same day
- prices vary widely between companies, and some telemedicine services may not be transparent about pricing
- some telehealth companies may not serve all states
- while many companies accept insurance, some may not, increasing out-of-pocket costs
Ozempic is an injectable drug with FDA approval for the treatment of diabetes. However, it can also help encourage weight loss, and healthcare professionals may prescribe it off-label if a person has obesity or overweight with at least one weight-related condition.
Wegovy, a GLP-1 medication with the same active ingredient as Ozempic, has
Ozempic’s active ingredient is semaglutide, which belongs to a group of medications called GLP-1 receptors. These medications:
- slow the speed at which food moves through the gut
- stop the body from producing too much glucagon if blood sugar levels are high
A 2023 analysis found that interest in Ozempic and similar medications has increased in the last few years. This is due to increased social media and celebrity influencer coverage for weight loss.
However, Ozempic and other GLP-1 receptor medications require continuous use for beneficial effects. A
Some websites or pharmacies claiming to offer safe medication do not do so. The
- do not require a prescription to dispense medication
- have no license in the United States and a person’s state of residence
- do not have a licensed pharmacist on staff to answer questions
- send medication that looks different, is in an unfamiliar language, arrives in broken packaging, has no expiry date, or is expired
- offer very cheap medication
- charge for products or medication a person never received
- sells personal data to other websites
The manufacturer of Ozempic, Novo Nordisk, lists some guidelines on identifying a legitimate Ozempic pen. An authentic Ozempic pen will:
- not extend or increase in length when setting the dose
- only show the intended dose on the dose dial
- only be available in 0.25/0.5 milligram (mg), 1 mg, or 2 mg doses
- be part of a box containing four needles that attach directly to the pen, except in the case of a 0.25/0.5 mg dose, which comes in a box with six needles
Novo Nordisk states some signs of a counterfeit Ozempic pen include:
- the scale extends when setting the dose
- a poor-quality label that does not adhere well to the pen
- spelling mistakes
- missing tamper-resistant perforation on the carton
- a batch number on the box differing from the product strength on the pen
Currently, there is not a drug shortage of Ozempic. However, the
However, the FDA must lift restrictions on copying branded drugs for pharmacies to be able to offer this service. The FDA has not currently lifted restrictions for semaglutide.
Ozempic cost without insurance will vary depending on which pharmacy they use. Optum Perks, a website that compares the cost of medications at popular pharmacies, states that the price of a 1.5-millimeter single dose of Ozempic will cost:
People with private or commercial insurance that covers Ozempic may be able to get this medication for as little as $25 per 1-, 2-, or 3-month prescription.
Novo Nordisk, the manufacturer of Ozempic, offers a savings card to people who meet the above eligibility criteria. The savings card is valid for 24 months from the date of its activation.
Yes, Ozempic is available online through telehealth companies. However, just like in-person options, a person needs a valid prescription from a healthcare professional on an online platform to get the drug.
The cheapest way to buy Ozempic is through insurance companies. People with commercial or private insurance can get Ozempic for as little as $25 with a Novo Nordisk savings card.
Those without insurance can expect to pay around $890–$1,000 per injection, depending on the pharmacy they use.
Several companies and pharmacies offer coupons or discount cards to save money on prescriptions. Some online pharmacies may offer cheaper forms of Ozempic. However, people need to avoid prices that seem too good to be true and avoid pharmacies offering compounded semaglutide.
The cost of Ozempic will vary depending on the pharmacy, insurance coverage, and dosage.
According to Optum Perks, a 30-day supply of Ozempic in its lowest dose of 1.5 mg will range between $3,400–$3,900 without insurance.
Ozempic was in limited supply worldwide due to a sharp increase in off-label use for weight management. However, the drug is readily available in the United States, making it easier to find pharmacies that can dispense the medication.
It is possible to get an Ozempic prescription from telemedicine companies. Buying Ozempic online can be more convenient than using in-person clinics, though people need to ensure they buy the drug from reputable services.
Many services accept insurance and offer competitive membership plans.