We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
A squat rack is a type of weight training equipment that consists of two adjustable metal posts that support a barbell. A squat rack allows a person to do deadlifts, barbell lunges, pullups, and overhead presses, among other exercises.
A quick look at 5 of the best squat racks
- Best for general use: Sunny Health & Fitness BH6802 Power Squat Rack
- Best folding: PRx BYO Profile ONE Folding Squat Rack
- Best high-weight capacity: Rogue Fitness SM-1 Monster Squat Stand 2.0
- Best customizable: REP Fitness PR-4000 Rack Builder
- Best space-efficient rack: Fringe Sport Garage Series Squat Rack with Pullup Bar
Medical News Today chooses fitness equipment that meets the following criteria:
- Price: MNT chooses products available for a wide range of budgets.
- Size and capacity: MNT selects products to suit people of different heights, weights, and strengths.
- Connectivity: Where fitness equipment has fitness memberships or subscriptions, MNT ensures variation in classes and services that benefit a person’s health.
- Materials: MNT chooses products that have safe and durable materials that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Ease of use: MNT selects simple-to-use products that have clear instructions. If setting up is complicated, MNT chooses brands that offer a set-up or installation service.
- Quality: MNT chooses companies that adhere to high quality manufacturing processes that ensure its products are safe for personal use.
- Reputable: MNT chooses products from businesses that adhere to industry best practices and offer reliable customer service and support.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more.
Best for general use:
Sunny Health & Fitness BH6802 Power Squat Rack
- List price: around $360
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 42 x 47 x 85 inches (in)
- Weight: 117.95 pounds (lb)
- Weight capacity: 500 lb (pullup bar) and 800 lb (weight bar)
The Sunny Health & Fitness squat rack features a knurled grip on the pullup bar, supporting both wide and close grip hand positions. It also has 11-in weight plate posts for additional stability.
Some other features of this squat rack include a 16-in spotter arm and resistance band posts for new variables and progressive resistance.
The rack also has a swivel landmine post with 360-degree technology to support different types of exercises.
Sunny offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, a 1-year structural frame warranty, and a 180-day warranty on other parts and components.
However, this product carries the Proposition 65 warning, a directive that must tell the public when a product may contain chemicals that can cause cancer, congenital anomalies, or reproductive harm.
PRx BYO Profile ONE Folding Squat Rack
- List price: around $700
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 52 x 26.75 x 73 in
- Weight: no information available
- Weight capacity: 500 lb
PRx Performance claims that this folding squat rack is suitable for cross-functional athletes, Olympic weights, and those who want to lift heavy weights but have limited space. This wall-mounted rack may be suitable for a garage or small home gym.
The PRx Performance folding squat rack comes with:
- a heavy-duty plastic foot
- safety locking pins
- a pair of 2×3 J-cups
- 100-lb gas shocks
PRx Performance state that this rack has a weight capacity of 500 lb as standard and 1,000 lb with a reinforcement kit.
The company recommends that individuals have a ceiling height of at least 91 in for this squat rack.
PRx also offers a limited lifetime rack warranty and a 30-day return policy.
Best high-weight capacity:
Rogue Fitness SM-1 Monster Squat Stand 2.0
- List price: $605
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 54 x 50 x 73 in
- Weight: no information available
- Weight capacity: 1,000 lb and over
According to the Rogue Fitness website, the SM-1 Monster Squat Stand 2.0 may suit those who train in small garage gyms and training centers. The company claims this rack fills the gap between traditional squat stands and power racks.
The Rogue Fitness Monster Squat Stand’s features include rubber feet for stability and floor protection, laser cut pins, and gauge steel uprights.
Rogue offers a limited lifetime frame warranty, up to 5-year warranty on parts, and a 30-day returns policy on unused items.
REP Fitness PR-4000 Rack Builder
- List price: from around $800
- Dimensions (L x W x H): customizable
- Weight: customizable
- Weight capacity: 1,000 lb
When buying this customizable rack, people have a range of options, including color, pullup bar type, size, and additional features, such as weight storage and dip stations.
This product may be a suitable option for individuals who prefer total control over how the squat rack looks and which features it has. The website provides a 3D model that changes depending on a person’s customization choices, allowing them to see how it will look.
People can book an assembly service or choose to assemble it themselves. Rep Fitness states this rack is usually available for in-store pick-up in around 24 hours.
The company also offers free shipping and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Fringe Sport Garage Series Squat Rack With Pullup Bar
- List price: around $300
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 46.5 x 49.5 x 84.5 in
- Weight: 80 lb
- Weight capacity: 450 lb
Fringe Sport state that this affordable rack is suitable for home use, specifically for squatting, benching, and pullups.
This squat rack is one of the most affordable products on this list.
The Garage Series Squat Rack has a lower height, allowing it to fit into more rooms. Additionally, the company claims that people can assemble it in under 45 minutes.
Fringe Sport offers free shipping and a 1-year warranty.
The following table compares the squat racks in this article on price, weight capacity, and more.
|Dimensions (L x W x H)
|42 x 47 x 85 in
|• 500 lb (pullup bar)
• 800 lb (weight bar)
|52 x 26.75 x 73 in
|54 x 50 x 73 in
|1,000 lb and over
|from around $800
|46.5 x 49.5 x 84.5 in
A person may wish to consider the following features before purchasing a squat rack:
- Height and spacing: This refers to the equipment’s height, indicating the amount of space necessary in a person’s home or exercise area. People may find this information helpful if they have limited space and a small room or low ceiling. Some squat racks are also foldable for easy storage.
- Weight capacity: Individuals can check that the squat rack is compatible with the weights they want to lift.
- Weight plate storage: Some squat racks have built-in weight plate storage, which may be beneficial if the user has limited storage space.
- Attachments and accessories: A person can check whether a squat rack is compatible with attachments or accessories, allowing them to perform the different workouts they want to do.
P65 Warning: Some products have the P65 warning label, which indicates that a product may contain chemicals that can cause cancer, congenital anomalies, or reproductive harm.
- Types: The type of squat rack a person chooses may depend on their personal preferences, living situation, and exercise goals.
When doing squats, individuals should ensure that their knees are slightly ahead of their ankles and their back is straight while weightlifting. A person should also incorporate a rest day into their workout routine and stretch their muscles before continuing their exercises, which will help their body recover.
If an individual experiences pain while exercising, they should stop immediately and contact a doctor if they experience pain or injury.
Individuals who cannot use or purchase a squat rack can consider trying other fitness tools, such as:
- Weight benches: Weight benches generally have a padded board and legs that allow individuals to sit or lie down while lifting weights.
- Dip bars: Dip bars are U-shaped and surround a person’s body at the waist. They may suit individuals who want to build muscle, upper body strength, and body control.
- Kettlebells: Kettlebells are dome-shaped weights that have a handle at the top, and a person can use them to perform strength and cardio exercises.
Here we answer some common questions about these products.
What are the benefits of strength training?
- reducing blood pressure
- reducing the risk of heart disease
- reducing pain relating to arthritis
- preventing osteoporosis
- increasing muscle mass
Is a squat rack worth it?
A squat rack may be a useful investment if a person is strength training at home.
Squat racks increase safety and stability, which is important to avoid injuries. Some pieces of equipment may allow for other types of exercise as well, such as pullups.
What are squat racks suitable for?
Squat racks allow people to do weighted squats in stages.
Some also let individuals perform other exercises, such as pullups and bench presses.
What is the difference between a squat rack and a power rack?
The main difference between a squat rack and a power rack is their size. Squat racks are smaller and have fewer bars. Power racks have a cage-like design and tend to have more attachments.
Individuals who wish to engage in weightlifting can use a squat rack to build muscle and increase their fitness.
Considerations before purchasing a squat rack online include the squat rack’s suitability for the available workout space, whether it supports the types of exercises someone wants to do, and what accessories are available.
Using squat racks can improve a person’s fitness, but they need to follow professional advice on performing exercises correctly to avoid injury.