We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
A squat rack is a type of weight training equipment that consists of two adjustable metal posts that support a barbell. A squat rack allows a person to do deadlifts, barbell lunges, pull-ups, and overhead presses, among other exercises.
- Best general use squat rack: Sunny Health & Fitness Squat Rack
- Best folding squat rack: PRx Performance Folding Squat Rack
- Best high-weight capacity squat rack: Rogue Fitness SM-1 Monster Squat Stand 2.0
- Best low-cost squat rack: Fringe Sport Squat Rack With Pullup Bar
- Best squat rack for different heights: Rep Fitness SR-4000 Squat Rack
A person may wish to keep the following features in mind before purchasing a squat rack:
- Height and spacing: This refers to the equipment’s height, indicating the amount of space required in a person’s home or exercise area. People may find this information helpful if they have limited space and a small room or low ceiling. Some squat racks are foldable for easy storage.
- Weight capacity: Individuals can check that the squat rack is compatible with the weights they want to lift.
- Weight plate storage: Some squat racks have built-in weight plate storage, which may be beneficial if the user has limited storage space.
- Attachments and accessories: A person can check whether a squat rack is compatible with attachments or accessories, allowing them to perform the different workouts they want to do.
P65 Warning: Some products have the P65 warning label, which indicates that a product may contain chemicals that can cause cancer, congenital anomalies, or reproductive harm.
- Types: The type of squat rack a person chooses may depend on their personal preferences, living situation, and exercise goals.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
The Sunny Health & Fitness squat rack comes with a knurled grip on the pull-up bar, supporting both wide and close grip hand positions. It also has 11-inch (in) weight plate posts for added stability.
Some other features of the Sunny Health & Fitness squat rack include:
- a 16-in spotter arm
- J-hooks that support weights of up to 880 pounds (lb)
- resistance band posts for new variables and progressive resistance
- dimensions of 42 in (length), 47 in (width), and 85 in (height)
- A weight of 117.95 lb
The product has a swivel landmine post with 360-degree technology to support different types of exercises.
Sunny offers the following warranties and policies:
- a 30-day money-back guarantee
- a 1-year structural frame warranty
- a 180-day warranty on other parts and components
This product carries the P65 warning.
PRx Performance claim that their folding squat rack is suitable for cross-functional athletes, Olympic weights, and those who want to lift heavy weights but have limited space.
The PRx Performance folding squat rack comes with:
- a heavy-duty plastic foot
- safety locking pins
- a pair of J-cups
- four 100 lb gas shocks
- dimensions of 52 in (length), 26.75 in (width), and 73 in (height) when in use
- dimensions of 52 in (length), 9 in (width), and 91 in (height) when folded
PRx Performance state that this rack has a weight capacity of 500 lb without a reinforcement kit and 1,000 lb with a reinforcement kit.
The company recommends that individuals have a ceiling height of at least 91 in for this squat rack.
PRx offers the following warranties and policies:
- a limited lifetime rack warranty
- 30-day return policy
According to the Rogue Fitness website, the SM-1 Monster Squat Stand 2.0 may suit those who train in small garage gyms and training centers. They claim that this rack fills the gap between traditional squat stands and power racks.
The Rogue Fitness Monster Squat Stand’s features include:
- a weight capacity of 1,000 lb or more
- rubber feet for stability and floor protection
- laser cut pins
- 73-in height
- a 50 x 54-in footprint
Rogue offers the following warranties and policies:
- a limited lifetime frame warranty
- 90 days–5 years parts warranty
- free shipping on some items
- 30-day returns policy on unused items
Fringe Sport claims that this squat rack suits people who have smaller budgets.
According to the company’s website, a person can assemble this squat rack in 20 minutes.
Some of the features of the Fringe Sport squat rack include:
- an adjustable pullup bar with a 1.3-in diameter
- an overall weight of 110 lb
- a weight capacity of 1,000 lb
- dimensions of 93 in (height), 47 in (width), and 62 in (depth)
- black powder coat finish
This product also has plastic-coated J-hooks to protect the finish on the bar.
Fringe Sport offers the following warranties and policies:
- 1-year warranty
- 30-day return policy even if a person has lightly used the product
- 365-day return policy on unused products
- free delivery
This squat rack comes with 1 in holes and 3 x 3-in 11 gauge steel uprights. It is compatible with accessories from the Rep Fitness 4000 Series lineup.
Other features of the SR-4000 Squat Rack include:
- a long, flat-footed base for stability
- base-mounted weight horns that provide weight storage and additional stability
- a 1.25-in pull-up bar
- base dimensions of 73 x 53 in
A person can choose between two squat racks with different heights and weights to suit their needs.
These two choices include:
- 96-in height rack weighing 230 lb
- 103-in height rack weighing 237 lb
According to the Rep Fitness website, the SR-4000 Squat Rack with a 103 in height may suit tall athletes who want to include kipping exercises in their routine.
Rep Fitness offers the following warranties and policies:
- free shipping
- 30-day returns policy on unused products
- limited 30-day warranty
- reducing blood pressure
- reducing the risk of having heart disease
- reducing pain associated with arthritis
- preventing osteoporosis
- increasing muscle mass
The CDC recommends that people engage in these types of exercises on 2 or more days per week. The CDC also recommends that a person combines muscle strengthening exercises with 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise.
When doing squats, individuals should ensure that their knees are slightly ahead of their ankles and their back is straight while they are weight lifting. A person should incorporate a rest day into their workout routine and stretch their muscles before continuing their exercises, which will help their body to recover.
A doctor might be able to help if a person experiences:
Individuals who cannot use or purchase a squat rack can consider trying other fitness tools, such as:
- Weight benches: Weight benches generally have a padded board and legs that allow individuals to sit or lie down while lifting weights.
- Dip bars: Dip bars are U-shaped and surround a person’s body at the waist. They may suit individuals who want to build muscle and upper body strength and body control.
- Kettlebells: Kettlebells are dome-shaped weights that have a handle at the top, and a person can use them to perform strength and cardio exercises.
Individuals who wish to engage in weightlifting can use a squat rack to build muscle and increase their fitness.
Considerations before purchasing a squat rack online include the squat rack’s suitability for the available workout space, whether it supports the types of exercises a person wants to do, and what accessories are available.
Using squat racks can improve a person’s fitness, but a person may wish to follow advice on performing exercises correctly to avoid injury.