We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
9FIVE Eyewear is an online retailer of luxury sunglasses and prescription eyewear. The brand has its headquarters and a physical store in San Diego, California. It ships nationally and internationally.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
9FIVE Eyewear has been in business since 2008. The name 9FIVE refers to the year 1995, which is the inspiration for the design of the company’s glasses. Its trademarks are black and gold glasses inspired by 1990s style.
9FIVE has a Trustpilot page with no reviews. It does not have a Better Business Bureau page.
The company does have a listing on Yelp, where it has mostly positive reviews. These frequently mention good customer service and high-quality products.
There is one negative review, which mentions a bad experience with an online order.
9FIVE Eyewear sells sunglasses, clear lens glasses, prescription eyewear, and XL frames.
All of the company’s frames contain acetate, and nearly all have 24-karat gold-plated stainless steel.
The product range has a distinct black and gold color scheme, though some frames are just one color. The company also stocks 16 styles of XL frames, which are 10% wider than the traditional frames.
Carl Zeiss, a high-quality lens brand, manufactures the lenses in 9FIVE glasses.
On some glasses, a person can add blue light filtering lenses for an additional $30. They can also add a light-adaptive blue light filter lens for $60. This type of lens adapts to different levels of light.
Other lens options include:
- black-tinted lenses
- clear lenses
- black polarized lenses
- black gradient lenses
- color lenses in blue, gold, and brown
9FIVE says that all of its single-vision and progressive lenses have anti-scratch and anti-static coating.
9FIVE also sells accessories. Among these are a gold chain lanyard, leather travel cases in three colors, T-shirts, and a care kit, which includes a cleaning formula, a microfiber lens cloth, and a gold screwdriver.
People can purchase 9FIVE Eyewear products online or in the brick-and-mortar San Diego store.
Anyone looking for prescription glasses should choose their frames, select the prescription lens option, and head to checkout. They should then send a photograph of their valid prescription to the email address that the company provides.
Alternately, a person can purchase a pair of 9FIVE frames and take them to a local eyewear retailer to have them fit with the appropriate lenses.
9FIVE ships nationally and internationally, to Canada, Europe, the United Kingdom, Australia, Asia, and Latin America. The cost of international shipping is $20, with the exception of Canada, which is $15. Customers are responsible for any customs or duties costs.
For returns within the United States, 9FIVE offers a 30-day return or exchange policy on nonprescription products. Shipping fees and prescription products are nonrefundable.
For international customers who need an exchange, the company recommends emailing its customer service team to learn about the options.
9FIVE offers a 1-year manufacturer warranty. This does not extend to scratched or broken lenses. The company sells replacement lenses for most of its frames.
A few other brands that a person might consider include:
- Sunglass Hut: This well-known retailer stocks various designer brands. It has many physical stores, as well as an online store.
- Oakley: This company sells luxury sunglasses, eyeglasses, prescription lenses, and goggles.
- DIFF Eyewear: This slightly more affordable brand sells sunglasses, eyeglasses, and blue light-blocking glasses. DIFF Eyewear donates glasses and eye care to those who could not otherwise afford it. Learn more about DIFF Eyewear here.
When purchasing glasses, sunglasses, goggles, or contacts, a person should consider:
- Face shape: Some eyewear retailers have guides that help people find frames that suit the shape of their face.
- Lenses: Some prescriptions require single lenses, and others require progressive ones. Many retailers also stock blue light filter lenses for those who spend long periods looking at screens.
- Try-ons: Some people prefer to try on frames in person before making a purchase. And some online retailers offer virtual try on services.
- Protective coatings: Many retailers sell lenses with anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings at an additional cost.
- Cost: Designer frames do not necessarily mean better glasses. But some people prefer to shop around and spend a little more on products of a higher quality.
When a person needs glasses, it is generally because they have a refractive error in one or both eyes.
This issue affects more than
Symptoms of refractive errors may include:
- double, hazy, or blurred vision
- seeing a glare or halo around lights
- eye strain
- having trouble focusing when reading or looking at screens
9FIVE Eyewear sells sunglasses and prescription or nonprescription glasses. Their various frames are based on mid-1990s style and have a signature black and gold color scheme. The company has an online store and ships nationally and internationally.