We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
High quality linen sheets can be a good investment for improving a person’s quality of sleep. Getting quality sleep is important for ensuring and maintaining good health and well-being.
A quick look at 8 of the best linen sheets
- Best linen sheets for hot sleepers: Brooklinen Linen Core Sheet Set
- Best linen sheets for all-year use: Tuft & Needle Linen Sheet Set
- Best anti-microbial linen sheets: Parachute Linen Sheet Set
- Best for a wide range of sizes and colors: Linoto 100% Linen Sheet Set
- Best breathable linen sheets: West Elm Belgian Flax Linen Sheet Set
- Best linen sheets for tall mattresses: Quince European Linen Sheet Set
- Best sustainably sourced linen sheets: Avocado Organic Linen Sheets
- Best linen sheets for softness: Magic Linen White Linen Sheet Set
This article discusses linen sheets in more detail, including their advantages and disadvantages. It also provides a list of linen sheet brands for people to consider.
MNT chooses mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding that meet the following criteria:
- Certifications: MNT will choose products that have CertiPUR-US or other certifications. This means that the products are low in pollutants and free from heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.
- Size: MNT chooses products that are available in various sizes.
- Budget: MNT features products to suit a wide range of budgets.
- Sleep trials: MNT chooses companies that offer a sleep trial.
- Shipping: Where possible, MNT will include shipping information, such as where the company delivers to and whether shipping is free.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products that carry warranties and clear returns policies.
Many brands of linen sheets are available to buy online. Below are eight of the best options a person can consider.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best linen sheets for hot sleepers: Brooklinen Linen Core Sheet Set
- Price: $259–$339
- Sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California (CA) king
Brooklinen says that its Core Sheet Set comprises 100% linen made from European flax. The set includes a flat sheet, a fitted sheet, and two pillowcases.
The company also states these sheets have OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 certification and are ideal for warm and cool temperatures.
A person can choose from five “Essentials” colors and patterns, and eight limited edition colors. The sheets come in six bed sizes.
The website states that this sheet set may be best for hot sleepers, as they keep the body cool throughout the night.
There are other features:
- 270 thread count
- made with long staple cotton
- 365-day returns
- machine-washable design
- light and breathable sheets
The Linen Core Sheet Set costs $259–$339.
Best linen sheets for all-year use: Tuft & Needle Linen Sheet Set
- Price: $240–$280
- Sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, CA king
According to Tuft & Needle, these sheets are good for temperature regulation all year round. The company also states these sheets are stronger than cotton, repel dirt, and continue to soften for years.
Tuft & Needle offers a 100-night trial, meaning that a person can return the sheets for a refund during this period if they are not satisfied.
A person can choose from four colors and six sizes.
The set includes one fitted sheet, one top sheet, and one or two pillowcases.
The sheets hold the OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 certification.
Other features include:
- 125 thread count
- strong elasticity for the fitted sheet
- 2-year limited warranty
- free returns
The Tuft & Needle Linen Sheet Set costs between $240–$280.
Best anti-microbial linen sheets: Parachute Linen Sheet Set
- Price: $189–$229
- Sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, CA king
According to Parachute, these sheets have OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 certification and are made from 100% European flax linen.
The manufacturers also state that they are suitable for warm or cool sleepers.
The set includes one fitted sheet and two pillowcases.
This set does not include as many sheets as most other brands. However, a person can choose from 11 colors and 6 sizes when purchasing these sheets. Additionally, Parachute states it does not artificially soften its linen.
Individuals may notice that the linen sheet set comes with several features, including:
- naturally eco-friendly and antimicrobial design
- Cal king set comes with king-size pillows
The company offers free carbon-neutral shipping and 60-day returns.
This linen sheet set costs between $189–$229.
Best for a wide range of sizes and colors: Linoto 100% Linen Sheet Set
- Price: $299–$459
- Sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, split king, CA king, European queen, European king, Olympic queen
According to Linoto, its linen sheet sets are prewashed with ECOS, a nontoxic, nonpetroleum-based, biodegradable laundry soap.
A person can choose from 29 different colors when purchasing these sheets. Linoto also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all standard orders.
The company also offers:
- four sheet styles to choose from
- four pillowcase styles to choose from
- free shipping when spending over $100
Each set includes one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two pillowcases.
Linoto linen sheets cost between $299–$459.
Best breathable linen sheets: West Elm Belgian Flax Linen Sheet Set
- Price: $180–$300
- Sizes: twin/twin XL, full, queen, king, CA king
West Elm states that these sheets are made from 100% Belgian flax and are woven in China. West Elm adds that these sheets are breathable, work well in warm and cold conditions, and soften with every wash.
According to the company, it uses a Fair Trade Certified factory. This certification means that it meets rigorous social, environmental, and economic standards, according to the certification organization Fair Trade.
This linen sheet set is OEKO-TEX certified, according to the brand website.
The sheet set comes with:
- 13 color options
- 5 sizes to choose from
- free shipping
- 30-day returns
- a machine-washable design
The set includes one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two pillowcases. Twin sets come with one pillowcase.
The West Elm Belgian Flax Linen Sheet Set costs between $108–$300.
Best linen sheets for tall mattresses: Quince European Linen Sheet Set
- Price: $129.90–$189.90
- Sizes: twin, full, queen, king, CA king
Quince offers this European Linen Sheet Set that is available in 5 sizes and 14 colors.
The sheets use European flax and the company states that individuals can use it all year round. The brand also writes these sheets are free from harmful chemicals and toxins, and claims it holds GOTS, U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), and OEKO-TEX certification.
The set includes one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two pillowcases. The twin-size set includes one pillowcase.
The company writes that the fitted sheet fits mattresses up to 16 inches deep.
The sheets have:
- textile weight of 150 grams per square meter
- breathable design
- free shipping
- 365-day returns
Quince offers a more affordable linen sheet set when compared to other brands.
A person can buy the Quince European Linen Sheet Set for between $129.90–$189.90.
Best sustainable linen sheets: Avocado Organic Linen Sheets
- Price: $469–$549
- Sizes: full, queen, king, CA king
Avocado is a mattress brand that sells bedding and other sleep products. Its linen sheet set uses organic linen that holds GOTS and PETA Approved Vegan certification.
Avocado describes these sheets as breathable. It also writes that they are prewashed to stop the sheets from shrinking, losing shape, and fading.
This sheet set includes one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two pillowcases. It is the most expensive option on this list and is not suitable for smaller budgets.
Other features include:
- available in two colors and four sizes
- a 100-night trial
- free shipping
- 1-year warranty
This sheet set costs between $469–$549.
Best linen sheets for softness: Magic Linen White Linen Sheet Set
- Price: $238–$340
- Sizes: twin, full, queen, king
Magic Linen claims these linen sheets come already soft as they are stone washed as part of the manufacturing process.
The set includes one fitted sheet, one flat sheet, two pillowcases, and comes in white. For each size there is a deep-pocket mattress option, doubling the range of sizes on offer.
The company writes this product holds OEKO-TEX certification and offers:
- a wide range of sizes for different mattresses
- a 30-day sleep trial
- free shipping
The Magic Linen sheet set costs between $238–$340.
The table below compares the linen sheet sets in this article.
|Best for||Price||Number of sizes||Number of colors||Certifications||Returns and trials|
|Brooklinen||hot sleepers||$259–$339||6||13||OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100||365 day-return|
|Tuft & Needle||all-year use||$240–$280||6||4||OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100||100-night trial|
|Parachute||anti-microbial||$189–$229||6||11||OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100||60-day return|
|Linoto||range of sizes and colors||$299–$459||11||29||none specified||30-day return|
|West Elm||air flow||$180–$300||5||13||• Fair Trade|
• OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100
|Quince||tall mattresses||$129.90–$189.90||5||14||• OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100|
• U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
|Avocado||sustainable||$469–$549||4||2||• Made Safe|
• PETA Approved Vegan
|Magic Linen||softness||$238–$340||8||1||OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100||30-day sleep trial|
A person can consider the following factors when buying linen sheets:
- Durability: As linen sheets can be expensive, a person should read reviews on how durable sheets are to ensure they are a cost-effective purchase.
- Breathability: Anyone wishing to keep cool overnight should consider breathable bedding. Many linen bedding brands claim that their products insulate sleepers in cool weather and allow heat to escape the bedding if it is warm.
- Sustainability: A person should research whether brands source their materials or manufacture their products in sustainable ways that do not damage the environment.
- Cost: A person should consider their budget when shopping for linen sheets, as they can be expensive. A person can consider the durability, customer reviews, and whether they will suit every sleeper that will use them before making a purchase.
- Hypoallergenic certification: Those with allergies may wish to consider linen sheets that are made with certified hypoallergenic materials to reduce their risk of allergic reactions.
- Environmental certifications: Some brands hold manufacturing certifications such as OEKO-TEX, which shows a product has been tested and found free of harmful substances, and Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), which ensures that textiles products are produced to strict environmental standards, from harvesting raw materials to manufacturing and labeling.
Poor quality sleep
The bedsheets that a person uses may play a part in promoting the duration and quality of sleep.
The following sections highlight the benefits of linen sheets.
People widely acknowledge that linen sheets are hypoallergenic. This term means that they contain fewer allergy-triggering substances, also known as allergens.
As a result, they may be a good option for people with sensitive skin and those prone to allergic reactions.
Linen has natural temperature-regulating qualities. It is breathable, which promotes airflow, and can wick away moisture, helping a person remain cool when the temperature in the room is warm.
Temperature regulation is an important factor to consider.
This study analyzed sleep data from 765,000 survey respondents and nighttime temperature data from 2002 to 2011. The authors found that warmer nighttime temperatures increased reports of insufficient sleep.
Softens over time
In general, linen sheets soften over time. This means that they remain comfortable, or even get more comfortable, as time passes. Therefore, they may be a long lasting investment.
Linen is a good choice from an environmental perspective. Made from components of the flax plant, linen is
However, some dyes can affect how environmentally friendly linen is because they are resistant to biodegradation. A person can consider linen sheets that do not contain dyes to avoid affecting the environmental benefits of their linen sheets.
Although linen sheets have many advantages, it is worth noting their main disadvantages:
- Linen sheets may feel rough at first, as they take time to soften. This issue should resolve after multiple uses and repeat washes.
- Linen is often
more expensivethan many other fabric types.
- Linen fabric is naturally wrinkly, so some people may not like its appearance.
Some people may prefer to purchase sheets made from a fabric other than linen. Some alternatives to consider include:
- Cotton: Regular cotton sheets are generally widely available, and they can be inexpensive and soft.
- Polyester: This material is inexpensive and durable. However, it does not absorb water or regulate temperature.
- Microfiber: This material absorbs and wicks away moisture, helping with temperature regulation.
- Bamboo: Bamboo fabric is soft, durable, and good for temperature regulation. Learn more about bamboo sheets here.
- Silk: Silk sheets are often expensive, but they are soft and good for keeping a person cool in bed.
- Tencel: Made from eucalyptus, this material is durable and soft, absorbs moisture, and has antimicrobial qualities.
Below are answers to the top frequently asked questions about linen sheets.
Are linen sheets really worth it?
Linen sheets may cost more than cotton sheets and are not always suitable for smaller budgets. However, linen is effective at wicking away moisture and regulating temperature, as it may be woven more loosely than cotton. It is also a very durable material, meaning linen sheets can last longer than cotton.
Linen sheets generally need to be washed and dried using cool settings, which means caring for linen sheets has a smaller impact on the environment than other materials.
What is the best quality linen?
European flax is a sought-after material for linen sheets. A person can consider sheets with EUROPEAN FLAX certification, which ensures a product has been made with premium linen fibers grown in Western Europe, particularly in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, without irrigation or GMOs.
What is the difference between linen and flax linen?
Linen is a type of fabric made from the fibers of the flax plant. Flax linen refers to linen made from this plant, although imitation materials are often also referred to as linen. Typically, linen uses the longer fibers from the flax plant.
There are other types of fabric that use flax fibers, such as lace and damask.
Good quality bedsheets may help a person get a better night’s sleep. If a person is looking to purchase new bedsheets, linen may be a suitable option.
Linen bedsheets are often hypoallergenic and usually a good environmental choice. They tend to regulate temperature well and soften over time. However, they can be expensive, and some people may not like that they take time to soften and have a tendency to wrinkle.