We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
BistroMD offer a meal delivery service that emphasizes weight loss by making healthful nutritional choices.
A person can pick from several different meal plans and have the meals delivered to their door ready to reheat.
Keep reading to learn more about BistroMD, including how the service works, some menu options, and the pros and cons of this service.
Bistro MD provide fully cooked meals through a mail delivery service. According to their website, they provide doctor- and dietitian-created meals for weight loss.
They also provide specialty programs tailored to more specific needs, such as meals catered toward:
- people with diabetes
- heart-healthy diets
- gluten-free diets
- people going through menopause
- males or females specifically
For weight loss, Bistro MD say that their meals support burning calories while keeping lean muscle mass by providing the necessary macronutrients.
Their plans include the following breakdowns of macronutrients:
- fats: 20–25% of total calories
- protein: 40–50% of total calories
- carbohydrates: 30–35% of total calories
In addition, each of their programs comes with additional supports beyond the prepared meals. They state that the programs come with:
- one-to-one dietitian support
- tools and education
- a community of other people who use BistroMD
BistroMD may be best suited for people who are looking to lose weight and maintain their results.
BistroMD make several health claims on their website. For example, they claim that:
- Calorie restrictive diets cause the body to go into starvation mode.
- Slow and steady weight loss is more effective than fast results.
- There are four components to effective weight loss: social support, proper diet, adequate sleep, and moderate exercise.
According to one 2017 study that looked at how the brain regulates calorie burning, the researchers found that the brain directs the body to burn more or fewer calories based on the total amount of calories a person consumes. So, when a person cuts calories drastically, the brain slows calorie burning down to compensate, making it more difficult to lose weight.
The National Institute on Aging indicate that there are potential health benefits related to fasting and calorie restricted diets that can have a positive impact on health.
For example, they cite a study that cut people’s daily intake of calories by 25%. Though more research is necessary, they state that people who follow calorie restricted diets may lose and maintain the weight loss and prevent or decrease the likelihood of conditions such as diabetes or heart disease.
BistroMD base their claims about community support on a
In a recent study, researchers found the following:
- Adherence to a diet predicts results.
- A person needs to create an energy deficit to lose weight.
- Food quality matters.
- No single diet works for everyone.
- Studies do not support several different diets.
In other words, based on BistroMD’s claims, they may provide a meal delivery service that might at least help some people with losing weight and keeping it off.
BistroMD send a person premade meals that they only need to heat up. To get started, people can choose one of six plans, including the following:
- Women’s Program: How this differentiates from the others is not clear.
- Men’s Program: This may help a person stay satisfied, but the company make no specific claims.
- Gluten-Free Program: Each meal is tested based on Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards and does not contain wheat, rye, or barley.
- Heart-Healthy Program: Each meal contains under 600 milligrams of sodium and 3.5 grams (g) of saturated fat per serving.
- Menopause Program: This provides meals with 25 g or under of net carbs and macronutrients designed for people going through menopause.
- Diabetic Friendly Program: All meals contain under 25 g of net carbs.
Once a person makes their plan selection, they have several delivery options. The options for each plan can include 5 or 7 days worth of food. A person can either get three meals per day, just lunch and dinner, or meals and snacks for the total number of days.
Once a person signs up for the service, they can select the meals they want to eat each week. The meals rotate each week to provide a greater variety.
A person can also schedule a consultation with a dietitian to help personalize their dietary plan.
BistroMD may work well for some people and not for others. A person should consider the potential pros and cons of this service before ordering.
There are several potential reasons that a person may want to order BistroMD. These include the following:
- There are a large selection of meals to choose from.
- Several meal plans are tailored to suit different needs, such as heart health and gluten-free diets.
- A person can choose from 5- or 7-day programs with every meal, snacks, or just lunch and dinner.
- Cancellation is available at any time.
- Online support communities and dietitian consultations are included in the price.
Some potential cons of using BistroMD include the fact that it is very expensive, starting at around $130 per week, and the fact that a person cannot choose a la carte meals for delivery.
A person can choose from two full program options and two lunch and dinner programs. The options include:
- Full program, 7 days per week: Included are seven breakfasts, seven lunches, six dinners, and My Night* for $190.
- Full program, 5 days per week: Included are five breakfasts, five lunches, and five dinners for $160.
- Lunch and dinner program, 7 days per week: Included are seven lunches and seven dinners for $160.
- Lunch and dinner program, 5 days per week: Included are five lunches and five dinners for $130.
*MyNight is a structured break for a person to practice what they are learning from the programs about nutrition.
There are a variety of meals to choose from each week, with over 150 different options. A person can also add snacks to their plan if they want to.
Some potential choices include:
- beef with red wine sauce and barley
- green Chile pork with southwest salsa
- spinach and feta stuffed salmon
- meatloaf with honey bourbon glaze
BistroMD are not the only meal delivery service available. There are several competitors a person can choose from based on their preferences and needs.
Other programs a person may be interested in include the following:
- Noom: This is not a meal delivery service. Instead, it provides a program to help reshape a person’s mindset about food.
- Nutrisystem: This provides several meals and snacks. It is similar to BistroMD.
- Diet-to-Go: This is a similar service to BistroMD that emphasizes ready-made meals to support weight loss.
BistroMD also offer a program for people over the age of 50 years called Silver Cuisine. Silver Cuisine offers individual meals and plans to help older adults eat well.
BistroMD provide fully prepared meals to people who sign up for their plans. In addition to meals, they offer dietitian support and an online community for people to get involved with.
BistroMD provide several meal plans and programs designed for specific needs, such as heart-healthy or gluten-free diets. The service does not require a subscription, but it does require a person to pick a plan. There are no a la carte meals available.
Some people may find it far too expensive. For those interested, however, the prepared meals may help with achieving and maintaining weight loss goals.