We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
A cooling mattress pad aims to help prevent overheating and ensure a cool, restful night’s sleep.
A drop in the body’s temperature is important for getting to sleep, and being too hot may disrupt sleep patterns and reduce sleep quality.
A person can take various steps to keep the bedroom cool, including investing in cooling bedding.
This article describes the possible benefits of a cooling mattress pad, how these pads work, and some of the best options available.
A quick look at 7 of the best cooling mattress pads
- Best for small budgets: Sealy Cooling Mattress Pad
- Best hypoallergenic: Lucid’s 3-inch Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best for natural cooling ingredients: Zinus’s Green Tea Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best waterproof design: Brooklyn Bedding Luxury Cooling Mattress Protector
- Best for organic certifications: Saatva Organic Mattress Pad
- Best for all seasons: Slumber Cloud Core Mattress Pad
- Best for powerful cooling: Ooler Sleep System
A person’s body temperature
A mattress can be a significant investment and finding one that suits each sleeper’s needs can take time. Meanwhile, sleep habits and needs can change over time, and a mattress’s support and cooling capability can gradually reduce.
A mattress pad can be an affordable way to add cooling or comfort to a bed without replacing the mattress.
Having a mattress pad can also prolong the lifespan of the mattress.
Additionally, a person may wish to invest in a cooling mattress. Learn more about the top cooling mattresses.
A cooling mattress pad helps the body maintain a regular temperature throughout the night. It does so actively or passively.
A passive pad works because of the materials it contains. These may include:
- gel-infused memory foam
- cooling gel beads
- natural latex from rubber trees
- phase change material, which absorbs or releases heat depending on the environment
- moisture-wicking fabrics, such as those common in sports and fitness clothing
An active cooling mattress pad uses additional devices, such as water pumps or an attachable fan. They tend to be more expensive and complex.
MNT chooses mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding that meet the following criteria:
- Certifications: MNT will choose products that have CertiPUR-US or other certifications. This means that the products are low in pollutants and free from heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.
- Size: MNT chooses products that are available in various sizes.
- Materials and fill: MNT selects products made from different materials and fills, such as memory foam and latex, to suit a range of sleep and lifestyles.
- Budget: MNT features products to suit a wide range of budgets.
- Firmness: MNT selects mattresses that are available in a range of firmness options to suit most people’s sleeping styles.
- Sleep trials: MNT chooses companies that offer a sleep trial.
- Shipping: Where possible, MNT will include shipping information, such as where the company delivers to and whether shipping is free.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products that carry warranties and clear returns policies.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best for small budgets: Sealy Cooling Mattress Pad
Sealy is a mattress company that manufactures a wide range of sleep products. The company’s Cooling Mattress Pad uses a performance knit fabric that feels cool-to-the-touch and a second knit layer that wicks moisture away and releases heat trapped in the bed.
The company writes that its fill material, High Loft GelEssence™, comprises hypoallergenic fibers and offers responsive support.
The pad comes in twin, full, queen, and king sizes and can fit mattresses up to 18 inches (in) deep.
People with smaller budgets may find this cooling mattress pad suitable as all sizes cost under $70.
The Sealy Cooling Mattress Pad comes with free shipping, free 90-day returns, and a lifetime warranty.
Best hypoallergenic: Lucid 3-inch Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Lucid Mattress offers mattresses for different firmness preferences and adjustable bases, furniture, and accessories.
Lucid’s bamboo charcoal mattress topper is a cooling pad that contains memory foam. The company says that this may promote pressure point relief and airflow.
The pad may suit individuals with lower back problems, as it helps the spine stay in a neutral position.
The memory foam contains charcoal and bamboo, and the topper is:
Returns are free, and this product comes with free shipping and a 3-year warranty.
Best with cooling green tea: Zinus Green Tea Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Zinus uses natural ingredients in its products and aims to eliminate the need for toxic materials such as flame retardants and formaldehyde. The company sells mattresses, furniture, and bedding accessories.
Its memory foam mattress topper is infused with thermoregulating gel and green tea to neutralize odor. The company writes that its foam is CertiPUR-US certified.
It comes in twin, twin XL, full, queen, and king sizes. A person can also choose from a range of thicknesses and opt to add a cooling cover to the foam topper. The thickness options range from 1.5–4 in.
Shipping is free and customers can return it within 30 days if needed. The company also offers a limited 5-year warranty.
Best waterproof: Brooklyn Bedding Luxury Cooling Mattress Protector
Brooklyn Bedding offers this mattress protector that keeps heat away from the body to provide a cooler environment during sleep.
It is hypoallergenic as it prevents the growth of bacteria. It also has a waterproof design, protecting the mattress from liquids.
This mattress protector may be suitable for people who eat and drink in bed or would like to protect their mattresses against other spills and stains.
This mattress pad comes in six sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California (CA) king.
Customers can benefit from a 120-night trial, a 3-year warranty, and free shipping and returns.
Best for environmental certifications: Saatva Organic Mattress Pad
- Price: $155–350
- Thread count: 300
This certified organic mattress pad is made from breathable, moisture-wicking material and features organic cotton side panels. A person can secure this pad in place with the elasticated hem. The company claims it can fit mattresses up to 16 in high.
This product is certified by Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). Additionally, the company claims that its factories are Fair Trade certified.
The Saatva Organic Mattress Pad may be a good purchase for people looking for a pad that is not made from synthetic materials or foam.
This mattress pad comes in a wide range of sizes, including:
- twin XL
- CA king
- split king
- queen upper flex
- king upper flex
Saatva offers 45-day returns, free shipping, and a 1-year warranty.
Best for thick mattresses: Serwall Cooling Washable Mattress Protector
- Price: $51.99–65.99
- Thread count: 300
This mattress protector is made of breathable, hypoallergenic cotton. The company writes that it uses a down-alternative fill that feels the same as goose or duck feathers. Additionally, it features a quilted design with added thickness to increase comfort while a person sleeps.
A person can wash this mattress protector, with the brand stating that it is quick to dry, although users must dry it at a low temperature.
The company claims that this mattress protector can fit mattresses up to 21 in thick.
A person can choose from twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, CA king, and full XL sizes.
This product comes with a 30-day return period and a 2-year warranty.
Best for powerful cooling: Chilisleep Ooler Sleep System
This product may be suitable for people who need powerful cooling technology, such as those living in hot climates or people who experience night sweats.
This mattress pad uses water-based technology to change the surface temperature of a person’s mattress.
The sleep system has a mattress pad, an electric cooling unit, and a mobile app. The pad connects to the cooling unit via a pipe, where water circulates through the mattress pad. With the app, customers can choose their ideal cooling temperature, from 55 to 115 Fahrenheit (ºF).
According to the company, the pad fits any mattress size and under bed frames with a minimum height of 6.25.
The Ooler Sleep System comes in various sizes, and a person can buy a single or a double pad that can be used for one or two people, respectively. The sizes range from queen and king to CA king, and each size comes in a half-size option, suitable for one person.
The brand offers free shipping and returns, a 30-night sleep trial, and a 2-year warranty.
Here is how the above toppers compare.
|Sealy Cooling Mattress Pad||Lucid 3-inch Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Zinus Green Tea Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Brooklyn Bedding Luxury Cooling Mattress Protector||Saatva Organic Mattress Pad||Serwall Cooling Washable Mattress Protector||Ooler Sleep System|
|Best for||low budgets||hypoallergenic||natural cooling ingredients||waterproof design||organic certifications||thick mattresses||powerful cooling|
|Thickness||—||3 in||3 in||—||less than 1 in||—||0.25 in|
|Trial period||90-day returns||30 days||100 nights||120 nights||45 days||30-day returns||30 nights|
|Warranty||lifetime||3 years||5 years||3 years||1 year||1 year||2 years|
Those looking for mattress cooling pads may want to consider the below criteria before making a decision:
- Materials: Some people may prefer certain materials, such as cotton, because they are breathable, soft, and can be washed easily. However, foam mattress pads may offer more cushioning and support than fiber fillings. A person should consider the comfort levels they would like from their mattress pad and any allergies they have to natural or synthetic materials.
- Warranty and trial period: Many brands offer trial periods and return windows so that a person can try their chosen mattress pad and send it back to the company if it is not right. A person should check the returns and warranty policies before making a purchase.
- Certifications: Some products have environmental or manufacturing certifications that state the company adheres to textiles standards or uses sustainable or environmentally friendly manufacturing processes.
- Cost: A person should consider the features they need in a mattress pad and how that will fit their budget. Prices can vary greatly with mattress pads, with some costing under $50 and others costing over $1,000.
Below are some of the most commonly asked questions about cooling mattress pads.
Do you put a sheet over a cooling mattress pad?
People can put a sheet over the cooling mattress pad to protect it from wear and stains. However, it is not mandatory unless the manufacturer states it is. Some pads come with a plush cover or layer that mimics a blanket feel, eliminating the need to cover it with sheets.
Are cooling mattress toppers worth it?
How effective a person finds a cooling mattress topper depends on various factors. For example, those living in hot climates may not find cooling mattress toppers powerful enough. However, cooling mattress toppers or pads can be a cheaper solution than using air conditioning for those who would like to reduce their sleep temperature.
How do you clean a cooling mattress pad?
Many cooling mattress pads come with instructions stating they should be machine washed cold without harsh detergents and tumble dried on a low, no heat setting. However, a person should always follow the instructions that come with the product to avoid damaging it. If a person opts for a cooling mattress pad that connects to an electrical cooling machine, they should follow instructions closely, ensuring the product is washed and dried safely.
People who wake up feeling hot at night or feel the heat is affecting their sleep quality may benefit from a cooling mattress pad.
This type of product may contain thermoregulating materials or come with fans or other cooling technology.
A cooling pad or topper may also increase a mattress’s comfort, support, and longevity.