Xiidra is a brand-name prescription medication. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved it to treat the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease in people ages 17 years and older.
Xiidra contains the active ingredient lifitegrast.
Here are some details about Xiidra:
- Drug form: solution eye drop
- Generic version: not available
Read on to learn about Xiidra and cost, as well as how to save money on prescriptions.
As with all medications, the cost of Xiidra can vary. Factors that may affect the price you’ll pay include:
- your treatment plan
- your insurance coverage
- the pharmacy you use
- whether Xiidra has a savings program (see the “Financial and insurance assistance” section below)
To find out what the cost of Xiidra will be for you, talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance provider.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about drug cost and Xiidra.
How much does Xiidra cost per month?
The cost of Xiidra per month can vary from person to person. It can depend on several factors, including your insurance coverage and the pharmacy you use.
To find out more about what you can expect Xiidra to cost per month, talk with your pharmacist or insurance provider. They can provide more information about costs you may pay for Xiidra.
What are the costs of Xiidra with insurance vs. without insurance?
How much Xiidra costs with insurance vs. without insurance will depend on a few factors, including your insurance plan and the pharmacy you use. These costs can vary from person to person. However, in general, costs for medications such as Xiidra are typically lower with insurance compared with costs without insurance.
According to the drug’s manufacturer, some people with little or no insurance coverage are eligible to receive Xiidra for free from the Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation. To learn more, call 800-277-2254 or visit this site.
If you’d like to learn more about your costs for Xiidra treatment, talk with your pharmacist or insurance company.
Xiidra is only available as a brand-name drug. It doesn’t come in a generic version. A generic drug is an exact copy of the active drug in a brand-name medication.
Generics tend to cost less than brand-name drugs.
Why are costs different for brand-name drugs vs. generic drugs?
Brand-name drugs can be expensive because of the research needed to test their safety and effectiveness. The manufacturer of a brand-name drug can sell it for up to 20 years. When the brand-name drug’s patent expires, multiple manufacturers can create generic versions. This marketplace competition may lead to lower costs for generics. Also, because generics contain the same ingredients as brand-name drugs, they don’t require the same costly testing.
If you take Xiidra long term, you may be able to lower its cost in the following ways.
Getting a 3-month supply
You may be able to get a 90-day supply of Xiidra. If approved by your insurance company, getting a 90-day supply of the drug could reduce your number of trips to the pharmacy and help lower the cost. If you’re interested in this option, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance provider.
Using a mail-order pharmacy
Xiidra may be available through a mail-order pharmacy. Using this type of service may help lower the drug’s cost and allow you to receive your medication without leaving home. Some Medicare plans may help cover the cost of mail-order medications. You may also be able to get a 90-day supply of the drug via mail order.
If you don’t have health insurance, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. They may be able to suggest online pharmacy options that could work for you.
If you need financial support to pay for Xiidra, or if you need help understanding your insurance coverage, help is available. For example:
- A program called the Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation is available for Xiidra. For more information and to find out if you’re eligible for support, call 800-277-2254 or visit the program website.
- Xiidra’s manufacturer also has a savings program card, which may help you save money on your prescription. To learn more, visit this website from the drug’s manufacturer.
- Some websites provide details about drug assistance programs, ways to make the most of your insurance coverage, and links to savings cards and other services. Two such websites are:
To learn more about saving money on prescriptions and finding the best price for drugs such as Xiidra, check out this article.
Now that you’ve learned about cost and Xiidra, you may still have some questions. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist, who can provide personalized guidance about cost issues related to Xiidra. If you have health insurance, you’ll need to talk with your insurance provider to learn the actual cost you would pay for Xiidra.
Here are some other resources you may find helpful:
- Medicare drug coverage. To learn about Medicare costs and coverage for drugs such as Xiidra, see these articles about Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, drug coupons and Medicare, and the Medicare drug list.
- Save money. Explore this article for tips about how to save money on prescriptions.
- More details. For details about other aspects of Xiidra, refer to this article.
- Information about dry eye. For more information about dry eye disease, see our eye health hub. You can also view our list of dry eye articles.
Disclaimer: Medical News Today has made every effort to make certain that all information is factually correct, comprehensive, and up to date. However, this article should not be used as a substitute for the knowledge and expertise of a licensed healthcare professional. You should always consult your doctor or another healthcare professional before taking any medication. The drug information contained herein is subject to change and is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. The absence of warnings or other information for a given drug does not indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for all patients or all specific uses.