We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Is CBD legal? The 2018 Farm Bill removed hemp from the legal definition of marijuana in the Controlled Substances Act. This made some hemp-derived CBD products with less than 0.3% THC federally legal. However, CBD products containing more than 0.3% THC still fall under the legal definition of marijuana, making them federally illegal but legal under some state laws. Be sure to check state laws, especially when traveling. Also, keep in mind that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved nonprescription CBD products, and some products may be inaccurately labeled.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound present in the cannabis plant. CBD could have potential health benefits, and as interest grows, so does the variety of products. CBD gel capsules, or softgels, are a popular option. However, there is currently only one condition-specific CBD product with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval.
- Best for easy absorption: Joy Organics CBD Softgels with Curcumin
- Best for a full-plant extract: CBDistillery Relief + Relax CBD 30 mg Softgels
- Best CBD isolate capsule: Medterra CBD Gel Capsules
In this article, we discuss what CBD gel capsules are. We also outline their potential health risks and benefits and suggest some of the top CBD softgels for people to consider trying.
CBD is one of
Many people may confuse CBD with delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), another well-known compound present in the C. sativa plant. THC is the compound that causes the “high” that many people may associate with cannabis. However, CBD
Manufacturers can extract CBD from the C. sativa plant using many different methods, such as the
The softgel capsule will help protect the CBD oil by hermetically sealing it. This prevents air and light from damaging the CBD oil. Many manufacturers also choose to create softgels as they are often easy for people to swallow.
Below, we look at the pros and cons of CBD capsules.
- Precise dosage: A person may have more confidence that they are receiving an accurate and measured dosage of CBD.
- Easy to swallow: People generally find gel capsules easy to swallow as they are soft.
- No taste: There is no taste to a capsule, which individuals may prefer over tinctures or gummies.
- Longer-lasting effects: As the capsule contents do not release until they reach the stomach, they release more slowly and may therefore have a longer-lasting effect.
- Ingredients: Most companies include natural ingredients with their CBD oil. However, it is important to read the label and ensure there is a clear ingredients list. A person should also check for a certificate of analysis conducted by a third-party lab.
- Slow release: Capsules may offer a slow release and last longer, but this means they are not as fast-acting as some other products.
- Does not target specific areas: If a person uses CBD for a specific reason, such as knee inflammation, they may find that a topical ointment, cream, or oil applied to the affected are more effective.
- Unable to adjust dose: Manufacturers set the dosage per capsule, and people cannot adjust it. This dose may initially be higher than a person requires.
According to the
When using CBD products, people should follow all instructions on the packaging and not exceed the correct dose indicated on the label. Typically, people will take CBD gel capsules with water, as they would another pill or capsule.
For those new to taking CBD products, it is advisable to start with the lowest possible dosage. Once they understand how their body reacts to CBD, they can begin to increase the dose slowly.
A person should also consider speaking with a healthcare professional before taking CBD softgels. A doctor can ensure the product is safe for a person to use.
While people generally tolerate CBD well, some may experience common side effects, which may be dose-dependent. These
Research also suggests that CBD
Many CBD gel capsules are available on the market. Below, we list three products that people may wish to try.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All product information is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Best for easy absorption
Joy Organics CBD Softgels with Curcumin contain 25 mg of CBD per serving, with 30 softgels in each bottle. They also contain bovine gelatin and will not suit vegans or vegetarians.
The manufacturer adds that these capsules make use of nanoemulsion technology, which they state decreases the particle size and creates a consistency that the body can more easily absorb.
The brand also suggests that these softgels may help support joint health. Both CBD and curcumin have anti-inflammatory properties, meaning the product may benefit people with inflammatory pain.
These capsules are available to purchase online, starting from around $80.
Best for a full-plant extract
These capsules are THC-free, feature CBD oil, and make use of a full-plant extract. The manufacturer states that these softgels offer the health benefits of other CBD products with the added wellness benefits of a full-plant extract.
In addition to coconut oil, they also contain gelatin, which is not suitable for vegetarians or vegans.
CBDistillery offers a 60-day trial period. During this time frame, a person can try one of each of their CBD products to determine which is right for them. People can receive a refund during that period if they are not satisfied.
Each softgel contains a dose of 30 mg and comes in a bottle of 30 capsules. They are available to purchase online, starting from around $75.
Medterra CBD Gel Capsules
Best CBD isolate capsule
The manufacturer of these capsules disperses the CBD in fractionated coconut oil. It also states that these capsules contain 99% pure CBD and no THC.
Medterra provides two strengths, 25 milligrams (mg) and 50 mg. It notes that people can take the gel capsules in either the morning or evening. Each bottle contains 30 capsules.
Medterra uses hemp grown in the U.S. in its products. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing a person to return the capsules for a full refund if they are dissatisfied.
These capsules are available to purchase online, starting from around $50.
When considering CBD products, it is advisable for people to choose products that:
- are not from a company subject to an
FDA warning letter
- contain no more than 0.3% THC, as per the
Agriculture Improvement Act
- have proof of third-party testing by an ISO/IEC 17025-accredited laboratory
- are from a company that provide certificates of analysis for all their products
- pass tests for pesticides, heavy metals, mold, and microbes
- pass product potency evaluations and safety testing
Additionally, people may also consider:
- retailer and manufacturer reputations
- customer reviews
- CBD potency
CBD is also available in oil form. CBD oil usually comes in a dropper bottle. A person takes CBD oil by placing the required dose underneath their tongue and allowing it to absorb into the body from there.
Another alternative to CBD gel capsules is CBD gummies. These are usually flavored chewy candy that a person can consume.
Here, we look at some common questions relating to CBD capsules.
What do CBD capsules do?
CBD capsules allow a person to take a specific dose of CBD oil in an easy-to-swallow softgel capsule. Individuals may prefer this delivery method due to its convenience, lack of taste, and accurate dosage.
Are CBD softgels effective?
Yes. CBD softgels go straight to a person’s stomach, allowing the CBD to distribute to the body.
How long do CBD capsules take to work?
A person may find CBD absorption slow if they take a capsule. The Arthritis Foundation advises a person can expect to notice effects after 1–2 hours, but should they require a faster response, they should try holding drops or a spray under the tongue for around 60 seconds. Individuals should notice effects within 15–45 minutes, but it may not have a nice taste.
Research suggests that CBD may help with a number of medical issues, such as epilepsy, pain, and anxiety.
Evidence suggests that people generally tolerate CBD well. However, further studies are necessary to learn more about the long-term effects of taking CBD.
CBD is available to purchase in a variety of forms, including softgels. These are gel capsules containing CBD oil. This may provide users with a convenient way to take CBD. Before taking CBD products, people should speak with a doctor.