We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Roman is a digital health company that offers products for males with various health conditions. It claims its Roman Swipes can help those who experience premature ejaculation.
Premature ejaculation is a condition where a person reaches orgasm earlier than desired. According to the Urology Care Foundation, 1 in 3 men aged 18–59 years in the United States are affected by premature ejaculation.
This article describes the Roman brand in more detail and reviews its Roman Swipes. It also explores some competitors, frequently asked questions, and when to speak with a doctor about premature ejaculation.
The company works with licensed pharmacies and medical professionals and provides:
- online consultations with doctors
- prescriptions and refills
- free follow-up appointments
- free shipping
Roman has a profile under the name Roman Health Ventures with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), where it has a rating of 2.42 out of 5.
Some customer reviews on the company’s BBB page stated they could not afford Roman’s products. Others claimed the brand’s representatives were unable to help them cancel their account.
Currently, only two positive reviews focus on Roman’s services. Customers stated the service was convenient because they did not have to attend in-person appointments.
The company also has a 2.9 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot, and according to reviews, competitors stock similar products at lower prices.
The Roman website advertises Roman Swipes, which reportedly help with premature ejaculation. One box contains eight wipes and is available without a prescription for those aged 18 years and older.
According to the company, people should apply the wipes to sensitive areas of the penis and allow it to dry for 5 minutes before engaging in sexual activity.
The wipes contain 4% benzocaine solution, a mild topical anesthetic that numbs the nerve endings under the skin’s surface.
This ingredient is also present in creams to treat cold sores.
Veru Healthcare, the company that manufactures the wipes, funded a 2017 study into the wipes’ effects.
Researchers studied the effects of a 2-month treatment of benzocaine and placebo wipes. The study found that participants using benzocaine wipes had more control over their ejaculation time than those using the placebo wipes. Using the benzocaine wipes also reportedly increased sexual pleasure.
However, as the manufacturer funded the study, it is possible that the results could be prone to bias.
A 2019 randomized placebo-controlled study reviewed the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of benzocaine wipes in people with premature ejaculation. It found that 88% of the participants using the wipes recovered from premature ejaculation after 2 months. Note that Veru Healthcare also helped fund this study.
Some side effects may occur when using Roman Swipes or other benzocaine wipes, including:
- a burning or stinging sensation
Some retailers that stock Roman Swipes and other benzocaine premature ejaculation wipes include the below.
The company offers two subscription plans for their Roman Swipes. A person can choose to receive one box of Roman Swipes every month or three boxes every 3 months. One box contains eight wipes.
The product includes free shipping and unlimited follow-ups, while the company sends orders using discreet packaging.
Walmart also stocks Roman Swipes, which are available in packs of two or five individually wrapped wipes.
The retailer offers free 2-day delivery when customers spend $35 or more. Buyers also receive their wipes in discreet packaging.
Rejoyn offers PREBOOST Pre-Moistened Wipes and claims it has Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approval for this product.
The company also states the wipes are safe to use with condoms. They come in a single-use package, which may be helpful for people who carry them in a wallet.
Additionally, according to the product page, these wipes will not numb a partner’s genital area because the substance dries quickly.
Roman is one company offering products to help treat premature ejaculation. There are alternative services, including the below.
Some differences between Roman Swipes and Hims Delay Spray include the below.
- The Delay Spray by Hims costs $29, while Roman offers two different subscription plans for its Swipes, depending on shipping frequency.
- People using Roman Swipes can have sex 5 minutes after application, but those using the Hims spray need to wait around 10–15 minutes.
- Individuals can use both products for oral sex, as long as they allow them to dry.
- The Delay Spray can benefit those who want a prolonged effect, as it can last for 1–3 hours after application. However, the effects of Roman Swipes last for 20–30 minutes.
Eddie by Giddy is a wearable device to support individuals with ED, a condition that makes it difficult for a person to maintain an erection. Some features of this product that people may benefit from include the below.
- The device comes in different sizes and single or double packs.
- It costs $238 but may be cheaper for regular use compared to Roman Swipes.
- Giddy offers free resizes of the Eddie so that people can adjust the device for free.
- A person can use Roman Swipes on their own, but they may be unable to do the same with the Eddie.
BlueChew offers chewable tablets for ED. Below are the main features of this product compared to Roman Swipes.
- They contain sildenafil and tadalafil, ingredients present in prescription medications such as Viagra and Cialis.
- The company offers different plans starting from $20 per month.
- BlueChew’s chewable tablets are available with a prescription. To get a prescription, a person must complete their medical profile and an online consultation with a doctor. In contrast, Roman Swipes are available over-the-counter.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Roman Swipes.
What are some advantages and disadvantages of Roman Swipes?
Some advantages include the following:
- Swipes are available online without an in-person doctor visit.
- Subscriptions are available.
- Online follow-ups with doctors are available through the service.
However, drawbacks can include the fact that the Roman website is not suitable for urgent matters. Additionally, the brand’s representatives may be unavailable to answer customer requests.
What do Roman Swipes feel like after applying them?
Individuals may feel a numbing sensation that feels similar to applying a numbing cream. This should not be painful, but it can take some time for people to get used to the numbness.
Are there any safety considerations?
People who reach orgasm earlier than they and their partner or partners prefer can speak with a doctor to discuss the issue and potential treatments.
Those considering using Roman Swipes or other online products for premature ejaculation should also consult with a doctor first. A medical professional can assess whether a person should stop any existing treatment plans.
Roman Swipes may be beneficial for people who experience premature ejaculation. Roman also offers other products for hair loss, ED, allergies, and stress.
However, it is important for individuals to speak with a doctor before using sexual health aids from an online company. Medical professionals can confirm whether the product is safe for their condition.