We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
39DollarGlasses is an online company that sells prescription eyeglasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses. It allows customers to choose the frame, size, and lens type, and it also offers a virtual try-on tool, so people can see how a frame will look on their face.
This article discusses the 39DollarGlasses brand, its products, services, and more. It also suggests alternative brands.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
39DollarGlasses has been in business since 2000. It does not sell brand-name glasses, instead claiming to offer affordable and high-quality glasses and lenses.
At the time of publication, 39DollarGlasses has a rating of 1.88 out of 5 with the Better Business Bureau. The organization also gives it an A+ rating.
Negative reviews frequently mention customer service and shipping issues, with customers claiming they experienced shipping delays without receiving updates.
Trustpilot gives the company a rating of 2.7 out of 5 based on eight reviews. Individuals reported that the company filled their prescription incorrectly, and it was unable to issue refunds. However, those with a high and complex prescription did not have difficulty adding their prescription to their order. In addition, some positive reviews mention the brand offered helpful customer service.
39DollarGlasses offers the following products:
The company sells a large selection of eyeglasses and sunglasses. Additionally, optional lenses are available with a custom prescription and UV protection. While searching through these products, customers can filter models on the website by frame material, shape, color, and dimensions.
39DollarGlasses offers various lens packages, including:
- Blue light blocking lenses: The company claims these help prevent eye strain and protect the eyes from the blue light from digital devices. Learn about the potential benefits of blue light glasses.
- Bifocal lenses: These lenses offer two lens powers that correct myopia (nearsightedness) and hyperopia (farsightedness).
- Progressive lenses: These provide multiple optical corrections, with people using them for near, intermediate, and at-distance vision. These allow individuals to switch between reading, regular, and driving glasses.
- Polarized: A person can opt for polarized lenses for their sunglasses, which filter reflective light and reduce glare.
- Anti-glare lenses: People can purchase prescription night-driving glasses that come with an anti-glare coating.
Glasses for children
The company offers a selection of child glasses that come with UV protection and scratch-resistant coating. These lenses consist of polycarbonate, a lightweight, impact-resistant, and shatter-resistant material.
39DollarGlasses sells contact lenses from OnlineContacts and offers a range of brands such as Acuvue, Air Optix, and Biofinity.
The brand offers daily disposables and color contacts, while some may also suit individuals with astigmatism or presbyopia.
39DollarGlasses offers a range of services to assist customers, including:
Once people choose a frame and lens type, they can virtually try the glasses. They can then enter their prescription or upload an image with this information and pay with a credit card or PayPal.
For contact lenses, a person can add their prescription and proceed to checkout.
According to OnlineContacts, those looking for contact lenses cannot use the same prescription for eyeglasses. This is because a contacts lens prescription carries additional measurements that doctors do not include in an eyeglass prescription. However, people can ask their eye doctor for separate glasses and contact lens prescriptions.
Warranty and returns
39DollarGlasses offers a 30-day return policy and a 90-day full exchange or store credit guarantee for all glasses. The company also offers a 60-day return policy on contact lenses if a person returns them sealed and undamaged.
If a person already owns a pair of glasses, they can replace the lenses by mailing the frames to the manufacturer to cut and add the new lenses.
The company allows customers to receive reimbursements from their insurance company for glasses and contact lenses.
People can also use their flexible spending and health saving account money through major credit card companies.
There are many other places to shop for eyewear products online. Similar brands include:
- Liingo Eyewear: Manufactures prescription and nonprescription glasses and offers a virtual try-on tool. It also allows people to trial glasses at home before committing to a purchase. Learn more about Liingo eyewear.
- EyeBuyDirect: In addition to selling eyewear products, this company helps individuals find a local eye doctor. It also offers tips so customers can learn more about their PD, face shape, choosing a frame, and more. Learn more about EyeBuyDirect.
- Lensabl: Offers different types of contact lenses and glasses. It can also replace lenses and renew prescriptions. Learn more about Lensabl.
During this exam, the doctor places drops in the person’s eyes to widen them and allow more light to enter. They can then look for any signs of damage or disease such as glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy.
The CDC also recommends some tips that may help reduce the risk of vision loss. These include:
- wearing sunglasses to prevent damage from the sun’s UV rays
- washing and drying hands before handling contact lenses
- quitting smoking, as it can lead to blindness
According to the
The United Kingdom National Health Service (NHS) also states that a correct prescription can improve a person’s quality of life. Additionally, regular eye tests can determine whether an individual needs a different prescription for their eyewear.
Blue light glasses and eye health
Companies that sell blue-light-blocking glasses claim they improve sleep, reduce eye strain, and prevent eye disease.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology states that blue light does not cause digital eye strain or improve a person’s sleep patterns, instead suggesting that individuals decrease screen time during the evening.
Using digital devices can lead to temporary discomfort and potential symptoms of eye strain, including:
39DollarGlasses is an online retailer that sells glasses and contact lenses. It offers various frames, sizes, and lens types that people can choose to purchase.
The company requires individuals to upload their prescriptions when purchasing a product. Customers may also take advantage of the virtual try-on feature before committing to buy.