We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Acuvue Oasys is a specific contact lens range that Johnson & Johnson Vision Care sells. Acuvue Oasys contact lenses feature UV protection and technology that helps keep a person’s eyes hydrated.
This article explores the Acuvue Oasys brand, the types of contact lenses the company sells, how to buy them, alternatives, and health considerations.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Acuvue Oasys is a type of contact lens from the Acuvue brand, which is part of Johnson & Johnson Vision Care.
Acuvue Oasys is the company’s 2-week disposable lens, while Acuvue Oasys 1-day with HydraLuxe is its daily disposable brand.
Acuvue also offers specialized lenses for people with:
- myopia, or nearsightedness
- hyperopia, or farsightedness
- astigmatism, a bend in the lens or cornea of the eye that causes blurry vision
- presbyopia, a natural loss of vision as a person gets older, which can make nearby objects appear blurry
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care has a D- rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). On its BBB page, there are several unanswered complaints about the company’s products and services. The brand currently has a rating of 1 star out of 5.
Despite some negative reviews and a questionable clinical trial, which this article later references, the contacts score highly in comfort on different sites. For example, Coastal’s customers gave overall positive reviews of Acuvue Oasys.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care offers several types of Acuvue Oasys lenses to accommodate different vision needs. Below are the options available in this range:
- Acuvue Oasys 1-day with HydraLuxe technology: Daily lenses for near- and far-sighted vision.
- Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear Plus technology contact lenses: A person replaces these every 2 weeks. They offer support for near- and far-sighted people.
- Acuvue Oasys 1-day with HydraLuxe technology for astigmatism: These daily lenses support those with astigmatism.
- Acuvue Oasys 2-week contact lenses for astigmatism: Two-week lenses for individuals with astigmatism.
- Acuvue Oasys multifocal with pupil optimized design: Two-week lenses that provide clear vision for both near- and far-sighted people.
- Acuvue Oasys brand contact lenses for presbyopia: One-day lenses suitable for those with age-related vision loss.
All Oasys brands come with some protection against UV rays. However, they do not fully block all UV light, so a person may need sunglasses or goggles when they are outside.
Some potential advantages of Acuvue Oasys contact lenses include:
- options for 1-day or 2-week contact lens according to an individual’s comfort preference
- a money-back guarantee
- online ordering or at a doctor’s office
- specific lenses available for different conditions
- individuals can use insurance or health savings accounts to help cover their cost
Some drawbacks of Acuvue Oasys may include:
- its high cost
- it may not work well for all prescriptions or eye issues
- its daily replacement lenses may start to feel uncomfortable within 5 hours, according to anecdotal reports
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care claims that its Acuvue products, including the Oasys line, have “substantiated unbeaten in comfort claims.” The company goes on to reference two unpublished consumer trials.
One 2016 trial reports that Johnson & Johnson has an agreement in place stating that the scientists could not publish the study. In addition, the company has retained rights to restrict access to the research. Therefore, the brand does not provide full access to the study for review.
Before purchasing Acuvue Oasys lenses, a person needs a valid prescription from their optometrist. Some people could even order a few boxes of the lenses after their eye exam for convenience.
Between eye exams, an individual can order Acuvue from numerous online retailers. Some sellers also offer varying perks, such as:
- coupon codes
- discounted shipping
- price matching
- subscription options
- customer support
For example, Coastal offers price matching and coupon codes, while 1 800 Contacts provides free shipping and 24/7 support.
Learn more about how and where to buy contacts online.
All Acuvue products, including the Oasys line, come with a 90-day money-back guarantee. A person can return up to two unopened boxes for any reason for a full refund.
Customers need to fill out a claim form, submit it to the company, and return the unopened boxes to their prescribing doctor. It typically takes 4–6 weeks for Johnson & Johnson to process refunds.
Acuvue Oasys is one of several brands offering comfort lenses for people. Alternative companies include:
- Dailies Total 1: Provides additional comfort with a layer of moisture between the contact and the eye.
- AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde: Reportedly offers comfort by keeping the eyes moist and free from debris.
People who wear contacts need to take additional precautions when using them compared with glasses. They should maintain the cleanliness of their contacts, cases, and solutions to help
The American Optometric Association says that individuals who wear contact lenses should follow these steps to help maintain eye health:
- cleaning contact lenses regularly and carefully
- thoroughly washing hands before handling the eyes or contacts
- using fresh, clean solution to rinse and store contacts
- removing contacts when swimming or using a hot tub
- avoiding using tap water to clean contacts
- visiting an optometrist regularly for eye exams
- replacing contact cases once every 3 months
- storing lenses properly according to instructions
There are several potential benefits to wearing contacts,
- improved vision
- no visible changes to a person’s appearance when wearing them
- enables people to take part in sports or other activities
- they do not fog up, unlike glasses
- provide peripheral vision
- allows individuals to wear nonprescription sunglasses
Acuvue Oasys lenses reportedly provide moisture and comfort for people who wear contact lenses. They come in various types to address different eye health issues, including nearsighted and farsightedness, astigmatism, and age-related vision loss.
People have several options when buying contacts — they can either order from their doctor directly or via an online retailer.
A person needs to follow all safety instructions when using contacts. Additionally, they should discontinue using them if they develop an eye infection or if a doctor recommends taking a break from them.