We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Casper are a mattress and bedding brand offering three different mattresses. These are available to purchase online or test in select stores.
Discomfort at night is a major barrier to good sleep, according to a 2015 poll, which found that people with chronic pain lose, on average, 42 minutes of sleep each night because of pain. The right mattress may help with pain and improve sleep quality.
It is advisable to research and test different mattresses to find one suitable for a person’s individual needs and preferences.
In this article, we look at the three Casper mattresses and their features.
Casper began as a start-up company, gaining business primarily through word of mouth and viral marketing campaigns. They have since expanded to include a handful of brick-and-mortar stores where customers can try out their mattresses in person.
Reviewers say that Casper offer excellent customer service and easy delivery and returns.
For instance, if a customer does not like a mattress after completing the 100-night in-home trial, Casper will send a courier to pick it up. They will then donate it, if possible, to a charity or individual who needs a bed. Casper have made more than 70,000 donations to date. Select stores also offer recycling services for old bedding.
All mattresses come with a 10-year warranty. The foams that the company use have all earned the CertiPUR-US designation, which means that they are free of harmful chemicals, such as mercury, lead, and substances known to deplete the ozone.
A 2017 study compared the reactions of 20 participants to either latex or polyurethane mattresses. The participants reported that latex mattresses offered better pressure point relief. Casper do not use latex but opt for a comfort foam that provides a similar level of support to latex. Therefore, the brand may be a good fit for people with acute or chronic pain.
A 2020 analysis of preferred sleeping surfaces found that the desire for a firm mattress increases with age. Most reviewers characterize the Casper line as medium-firm.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these mattresses. All product information is purely research-based.
Casper make three different mattresses:
Casper Original Mattress
This Casper mattress features three layers of foam:
- an outer layer of perforated, breathable foam to help sleepers remain cool
- a second layer of memory foam with three ergonomic zones that give support around areas of pressure
- a firm base that offers additional support
The Original also comes in a hybrid model that includes inner springs for slightly more support and a more traditional mattress feel.
Reviewers note that the top layer is cushiony and plush but that the mattress itself still provides good support and little motion transfer.
Nova Hybrid Mattress
The Nova Hybrid is Casper’s softest mattress, which may make it a good choice for side sleepers.
The top layer features tiny perforations to support airflow and help prevent overheating during sleep. A layer of more supportive foam with three distinct ergonomic zones sits beneath it, while a third layer offers additional shoulder support.
Individually wrapped coils rest beneath these three layers of foam, providing support that does not cause pain to pressure points. The coils rest in a firm border that offers additional edge support, making it easier to get out of bed.
The mattress is soft around the head and shoulders but firmer around the hips and low back.
Wave Hybrid Mattress
Casper promote the Wave as their most advanced mattress. It is also the most expensive of the three.
This mattress may suit back sleepers, those with chronic pain, and those who prefer a medium-firm or firm mattress.
A 2020 survey by Casper of their customers found that 9 out of 10 sleepers reported a reduction in pain after using the Wave. It is important to note that this was not objective research.
The layers of the Wave mattress include:
- a thin top layer, which has a cooling gel to help sleepers avoid overheating at night
- a second layer, which consists of the same perforated foam as Casper’s other mattresses, providing soft support without the risk of overheating
- a third layer of Airscape foam, which offers support in three targeted zones
- a fourth layer that Casper call Zoned Support Max, which offers significant additional support to relieve pressure points
As with Casper’s other hybrid mattress, individually wrapped coils form the base of the mattress. These coils sit inside a firm base for extra edge support.
The Wave may be too firm for stomach sleepers, and some side sleepers say that it is uncomfortable. However, this mattress often works well for back sleepers and for older adults who prefer a firmer mattress.
Casper mattresses are not necessarily better than mattresses belonging to other brands. No studies report that Casper mattresses are superior to others.
Some alternative include:
- Sealy: Sealy are one of the oldest mattress brands in the United States, with mattresses available for trials in many stores across the country. Sealy may be a better option for people who do not have access to a Casper store and want to try a range of mattresses in person.
- Purple: The Purple mattress company, similar to Casper, gained a strong reputation online. They offer a range of hybrid foam mattresses.
- Lucid: For people who like the mattress-in-a-box model, Lucid offer foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses at a more affordable price point than Casper.
Everyone’s needs are different, and a person’s ideal mattress may change with time, health, and shifts in sleeping position or environment.
If possible, trying a mattress out overnight can help with making a good decision. Casper’s in-home trial system makes this an option.
No matter what brand a person chooses, it is important to select a mattress with an extended warranty, in-home trial, and good return policy in case the mattress does not prove a good fit.