We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
A home gym is a single unit of exercise equipment that people can use to perform a range of exercises. Several fitness companies offer home gyms for purchase online.
- For rehabilitation: Bowflex Blaze
- For on-demand training sessions: NordicTrack Fusion CST
- For strength training: Marcy 150-lb Multifunctional Home Gym
- For own body weight training: TRX HOME2 System
- For a portable system: Fusion Motion Portable Gym
Please note that the writer has not tested these products. All information is research-based.
A home gym is a single unit of equipment that a person can use to perform multiple exercises. Some home gyms offer both cardio and strength exercise options, whereas others are suitable for just one or the other. A person may use a home gym for:
- building muscle
- recovering from an injury
- exercising at a convenient time
- exercising with privacy
Several companies sell home gyms that offer exercises for cardio and different muscle groups. Individuals can also mix and match exercise equipment to create the best home gym for their personal needs. A home gym typically includes some of the following equipment:
When purchasing a home gym, people should consider their physical condition, their fitness goals, and the types of exercises that they enjoy doing. Some key considerations include:
- Budget: The cost of fitness equipment varies, and home gyms that provide a wider range of exercises are typically more expensive than home gyms that offer fewer workout options.
- Space: Home gyms can take up a lot of space. People should check the dimensions of the equipment they are considering purchasing to ensure that they have room for it.
- Physical condition: Individuals who are new to exercise or recovering from an injury should purchase a home gym with lower weights and the option to perform low impact exercises.
- Fitness goals: People should consider their fitness goals when purchasing a home gym. For example, individuals who would like to build more muscle may prefer a home gym that focuses more on weights than cardio.
- Assembly: Some home gyms may require more assembly than others. Some companies offer an assembly service for free or for an extra charge.
- Warranty: People should consider the warranty on the home gym they are considering. Longer warranties mean that people will have support for a more extended period if their equipment breaks.
Several companies offer home gyms that suit most people’s fitness goals.
The Bowflex Blaze home gym provides a full body workout, allowing people to perform more than 60 different exercises. People can use it to work out the:
- abdominal muscles
This home gym comes with 210 pounds (lb) of resistance, which people can choose to upgrade to 310 lb or 410 lb. It has a sliding seat rail to allow people to perform leg presses and aerobic rowing. Each purchase includes handgrips and ankle cuffs.
Reviewers state that the lower weights on the Bowflex Blaze may be beneficial for those who need rehabilitation from previous sports injuries. They also report that the home gym is easy to assemble.
Bowflex does not list the dimensions of the Bowflex Blaze. However, one customer states that the home gym is 95 x 38 x 84 inches (in).
At the time of publishing, the Bowflex Blaze has a list price of $1,099. The company does not mention a warranty.
The NordicTrack Fusion CST comes with a 10-inch HD touch screen that people can use to stream workouts with NordicTrack trainers. Each purchase comes with a 1-year free trial of iFit, where people can access on-demand training sessions.
NordicTrack states that people can use this home gym with their iFit membership to access the following workouts:
- strength training
- studio sessions
- high intensity interval training (HIIT)
The NordicTrack Fusion CST comes with a Bluetooth chest strap that monitors a person’s heart rate during workouts.
The home gym’s dimensions are 60.5 x 41.5 x 73.5 in.
At the time of publishing, the NordicTrack Fusion CST costs $1,999. NordicTrack offers a 10-year warranty for the frame and a 1-year warranty for parts.
The Marcy 150-lb Multifunctional Home Gym offers exercises that work most major muscle groups. People can perform:
- abdominal crunches
- chest and pectoral fly exercises
- leg developer exercises
- bicep exercises
This home gym also features a weight stack lock that enables people to perform resistance exercises safely.
The Marcy 150-lb Multifunctional Home Gym’s dimensions are 68 x 36 x 19 in.
Reviewers state that although assembling this home gym is not difficult, it may take people several hours. The home gym may arrive in multiple boxes.
At the time of publishing, the Marcy 150-lb Multifunctional Home Gym has a list price of $599. Marcy does not state its warranty policy.
With the TRX HOME2 System, people use their own body weight to perform cardio and strength training exercises. The company states that this system is suitable for both beginners and more experienced exercisers.
People can use the TRX HOME2 System to exercise the following muscle groups:
- upper body
- lower body
- total body
It is possible to use this equipment anywhere with a suitable anchor point — either in the home or outside. TRX also offers a 7-day free membership with the TRX Training Club, which gives people access to live classes, on-demand videos, and virtual personal training.
At the time of publishing, the TRX HOME2 System has a list price of $199.95. TRX does not provide any warranty information.
The Fusion Motion Portable Gym fits into a bag that people can store in a closet when they have finished their exercises.
The company ships each gym with a guide that features more than 200 exercises. The gym comes with the following pieces of exercise equipment:
- triceps bar
- heavy resistance bands
- ab roller wheel
- pulse attachments
- dynamic and static pushup handles
Reviewers say that the Fusion Motion Portable Gym is easy to assemble and offers a wide range of workout options. However, some reviewers note that the home gym is not as sturdy as they expected.
At the time of publishing, the Fusion Motion Portable Gym has a list price of $179.99. Fusion does not state its warranty policy.
Regular exercise is key to remaining healthy. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) state that regular physical activity could prevent
The CDC recommends that adults partake in at least
However, people should always ensure that they follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to assemble and use a home gym. If a person does not assemble the equipment correctly, they risk injury.
Additionally, all exercise comes with the risk of sports injuries, such as strains and sprains. People should stop exercising immediately if they sustain an injury, and if the injury is severe, they should seek immediate medical attention.
Using a home gym may encourage people to exercise regularly. Several companies sell home gyms that are suitable for people of all fitness levels. Many home gyms are portable or easy to store away, making them a good option for people with smaller workout spaces.
It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on assembling and using a home gym to reduce the risk of injury.