We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Tonal is a fitness brand that sells exercise equipment, including the Tonal home gym. It also offers guided strength training programs to help its customers reach their fitness goals.
This article describes the Tonal brand and the Tonal home gym. We discuss specifications, customer reviews, and pros and cons. Finally, we suggest alternative brands of home workout equipment and answer some frequently asked questions about Tonal.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
The Tonal home gym is a wall-mounted machine with two adjustable arms that move up, down, and at different angles to accommodate push and pull exercises.
A person can also swap the arm grips for one of the following:
- two handles
- a bar
- a rope
The Tonal home gym has electromagnets for adjustable resistance, making it suitable for different fitness levels. The gym alone allows a person to push and pull up to 200 pounds. For additional resistance, people can wear wrist weights.
The equipment also includes a 24-inch interactive display featuring different workouts.
Workouts and extras
Some additional features of the Tonal home gym include:
- Workout customization: The Tonal home gym offers yoga, Pilates, and cardio workouts focusing on building upper body strength. A person can then customize their chosen exercise by selecting options from the following:
- weight modes
- Shared workouts: The machine can track the progress of its main user alongside an in-person exercise partner. It also offers multiple tracking for people who work out with other’s virtually.
- Form feedback: The equipment has 17 sensors designed to provide feedback about form. The sensors can analyze posture to target specific muscles and prevent injury.
- Progress tracking: A person can track their strength analytics and other data. They can then use the Tonal mobile app to compare their progress with other users in their age group.
- Smart accessories: Users can adapt their workouts with accessories, such as:
Size and setup
The dimensions of the Tonal home gym are 21.50 x 50.90 x 5.25 inches (in). Tonal recommends designating a floor space of 7 x 7 feet (ft) for the gym.
Specs and features summary
The following table provides a summary of Tonal home gym specs and features:
|Tracking||Tonal tracks the following:|
range of motion
|Wireless connectivity||Wi-Fi and Bluetooth|
|Interactive display||24 inches (in)|
|Sensors||17 sensors providing feedback on workout form|
|Types of workouts||Yoga, cardio, and Pilates|
|Recommended floor space||7 x 7 ft|
|Dimensions||21.5 x 50.9 x 5.25 in|
|Smart accessories||The product is compatible with other Tonal products, including:|
|Home trial||30 days|
|Monthly payments||Available at $63 per month for 48 months|
Tonal home gyms are only available to people living in the United States. Importantly, there is an additional fee for customers in Hawaii and Alaska.
Tonal’s website states that delivery and installation typically occur 10–12 weeks after purchase.
Representatives can help to install the gym and carry out the following tasks:
- connecting the gym to Wi-Fi
- connecting the gym to the customer’s Bluetooth smart accessories
- setting up the customer’s account
For an additional fee, Tonal representatives can reinstall the equipment for people who are moving house. Anyone interested in this service MUST give the company 2 weeks’ notice.
The Tonal home gym costs $2,995. A financing plan allows customers to pay $149 per month.
People can try the home gym for 30 days and request a full refund within this period if they are dissatisfied. The company also offers a 3-year limited warranty.
Below are some pros and cons of Tonal, according to online customer reviews.
- Adaptive equipment: Customers mention that Tonal’s equipment adapts to a user’s increasing strength.
- Automatic weight adjustment: Many reviewers appreciate that they do not have to manually adjust weights. Instead, the Tonal home gym features artificial intelligence (AI) that automatically sets the optimal weight for each movement.
- Progress tracking: Reviewers also highlight that Tonal’s equipment tracks progress, so a person does not need to remember which weight they use for each exercise.
- Customer service: Negative reviews describe instances in which customer service representatives could not resolve an issue.
- Delivery time: Some reviewers say their purchase took too long to arrive.
- No live classes: Some reviewers were disappointed that Tonal does not offer live classes in which a personal trainer can monitor a person’s workout posture and form.
- Privacy concerns: Privacy is a concern for some reviewers. Tonal’s policies state that they can collect personal information from customers. The machine also has a built-in camera, but a person can turn it off or unplug the device when it is not in use.
The Tonal home gym is for people who want to perform a gym workout in the comfort of their home. It is especially suited to those who wish to engage in personalized strength-based exercises while tracking their progress.
Tonal recommends the home gym to adults ages 18 years and older. People below the age of 15 may use the equipment provided they receive approval from a doctor and train in the presence of an adult.
The Tonal brand has ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and the Trustpilot websites:
BBB rating and reviews
Tonal receives a rating of 2.49 out of 5 stars on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website.
Negative reviews mainly concern customers not receiving their orders in time and the customer service team not being particularly helpful.
Positive reviews focus on the quality of the equipment, as well as the company’s installation service.
Trustpilot rating and reviews
Trustpilot gives Tonal a rating of 3.7 out of 5 stars.
Negative reviews mention delivery delays and the lack of updates regarding orders.
Positive reviews praise the equipment and workout classes and mention the convenience of being able to train at home.
Below are some companies and products offering similar alternatives to the Tonal home gym:
The NordicTrack Fusion CST is a type of home gym equipment that allows people to engage in the following types of exercise:
- strength building
Product features include:
- footprint dimensions of 73.5 x 60.5 x 41.5 in
- on-demand interactive training
- heart rate monitoring
- automatic resistance adjustment
- a freestanding base
- a touchscreen tablet
- a 30-day family membership for iFIT.
NordicTrack also offers the following:
- a 10-year frame warranty
- a 1-year parts and labor warranty
- a 30-day money-back guarantee
The NordicTrack Fusion CST is available for $1,999. Alternatively, a person can pay via monthly installments of $52.
The Bowflex Revolution is a resistance-based home gym. It does not provide virtual training but does allow people to download free workout guides.
- dimensions of 112 x 37.8 x 73 in
- a maximum weight capacity of 300 lb
- a 10-year warranty on parts
- a 90-day warranty on labor
This equipment is bigger than the Tonal home gym, so it may suit people with more workout space.
The Bowflex Revolution Home Gym has a list price of $2,899 and is currently on offer at $2,699. Alternatively, a person can pay via monthly installments of $150.
An extra cost of $299 applies for people who choose the in-home assembly option.
Mirror’s home gym equipment is a fitness mirror that offers live exercise classes and on-demand workouts, with the option to receive live feedback from certified trainers.
People can engage in various types of exercise, including:
- strength and conditioning exercises
The Mirror comes with the following:
- free delivery and installation
- a 30-day risk-free trial
- a 1-year standard warranty
People can choose from different packages, starting at $1,495. The price increases depending on the tools a person adds, such as:
- a stand
- a heart rate monitor
- a workout towel
Tonal’s home gym is suitable for people ages 18 or over. Younger people can use the equipment provided they have approval from their doctor and train under the supervision of an adult.
According to the
- burning calories and maintaining a moderate weight
- increasing flexibility
- reducing the risk of arthritis
- preventing falls and injuries
The ACS recommends that beginners and people who have taken an extended break from exercising see a doctor and consult a fitness professional before investing in a home gym.
Before using any exercise equipment, a person should research how to use it safely.
When using a home gym for the first time, gradually increasing the resistance and difficulty level gradually is generally a good idea.
People should also ensure to warm up before exercise. Doing so promotes blood flow to the muscles, preparing them for exercise and
Anyone who experiences new or worsening pain when performing a particular exercise should stop the exercise. If the pain persists, a person should consult their doctor.
Below are some answers to frequently asked questions about the Tonal home gym:
Does Tonal work?
Tonal offers strength training exercises. According to the United Kingdom’s National Health Service (NHS), these exercises help increase muscle strength, size, and power.
A person can do two or more sessions of strength training per week. Examples of muscle-strengthening activities include:
Can you build muscle with Tonal?
People can build muscle with Tonal. Once a person logs into the Tonal app, they can choose from the following fitness goals:
- getting lean
- building muscle
- improving fitness
Is Tonal good for beginners?
Tonal may be a good option for beginners, as it offers personalized workouts tailored to a person’s strength and strength-training goals.
The Tonal home gym is a piece of exercise equipment that people can use for different strength and cardio training. The Tonal allows users to choose different exercises and workout programs while keeping track of their progress.
Tonal is one of several brands offering home gym equipment. The best options for an individual will depend on several factors, including the price, warranty, and any additional features, such as virtual training, live workouts, and downloadable workout guides.
When using a home gym for the first time, a person should increase the difficulty level gradually. It is also important to warm up before each workout to reduce the risk of injury.