We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Purple are a mattress company offering a range of mattresses that are affordable and comfortable. The manufacturing of all their products takes place in the United States.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these mattresses. All product information is purely research-based.
Purple began selling their mattresses online in 2013. Reviewers of the mattresses often highlight their comparatively low prices, comfort, and ease of setup.
A Purple mattress consists of what the company call a Purple grid. This grid uses a flexible elastic polymer to conform to the body’s shape, providing support and minimizing pressure point pain.
Some other benefits include:
- 100-night in-home trial
- 10-year warranty
- open-air channels in the grid that reduce heat
- CertiPUR-US-certified foam that does not contain harmful chemicals or products that destroy the ozone
- free shipping
- low motion transfer
Purple offer four different mattresses. All mattresses are hypoallergenic and free of many harmful chemicals.
The original Purple mattress is the most affordable of the brand’s offerings, making it a good introductory option.
Reviewers note that this may not be the best mattress for side sleepers but that it may suit back, stomach, and combination sleepers. The reason for this is that the mattress offers pressure-free support and quickly springs back to shape when a person changes position.
The mattress includes a soft cover, with 2 inches of grid underneath to keep sleepers cool and supported. The base of the mattress includes two layers of foam that add support and reduce motion transfer.
The CertiPUR-US certification confirms that this mattress is free of harmful chemicals and will not damage the ozone.
Purple Hybrid Mattress
The Purple Hybrid is the company’s mid-level mattress.
As with the original model, it has certification from CertiPUR-US and is available for a 100-day in-home trial.
It features the same Purple grid and supportive cover as the original model but adds a layer of soft coils for additional support and pressure relief. This feature makes the bed a good option for side sleepers.
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress
The Purple Hybrid Premier blends the features of the Hybrid and original models, with a more customized menu of support options.
Customers can choose between a 3-inch or 4-inch Purple grid, depending on their preferred level of support, firmness, and cooling.
With a base of supportive, individually wrapped coils, users say that they feel supported but that the mattress still feels cozy and soft.
This mattress may be a good choice for side sleepers, as well as for couples and people who change their sleeping position throughout the night.
Purple Kid Mattress
Designed for children up to 14 years of age, this mattress is a smaller and more affordable version of the original mattress.
The 2-inch pressure grid ensures that children sleep comfortably and cooly, without pressure points or aches and pains.
This twin-sized bed comprises hypoallergenic materials, and, as with all Purple mattresses, it has CertiPUR-US certification.
The most important factor to consider when choosing a mattress is not the claims of the brand or manufacturer but how well the mattress works for a person’s specific needs.
Testing a mattress properly requires a person to lie down on it and, ideally, sleep on it for a trial period.
Alternative brands that are also available for purchase online include:
- Casper: Similar to Purple, Casper offer highly supportive mattresses, but theirs use memory foam. Consumers can purchase the mattresses online and try them in-home. Reviewers often compare Casper with Purple. Learn more about Casper mattresses here.
- Leesa: Leesa built their brand on the foundations of a strong online reputation. Leesa offer several mattress options, including foam and foam-spring hybrid beds. The design and manufacture of their products take place in the U.S. Learn more about Leesa mattresses here.
- Intellibed: The makers of the Purple mattress license their grid technology to the manufacturers of the Intellibed, which offers a similar level of support under a different brand name.
Purple have gained a significant following online, with many reviewers praising their good customer service, free delivery, and long mattress life.
It is important to try any mattress, regardless of brand, for several nights, ideally sleeping in several different positions.