We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
People tend to use a power rack with barbells. It ensures that a person can weight and resistance train alone safely. Individuals can also use a power rack, also known as a power cage, for other exercises, such as squats, chin-ups, or calf raises.
A quick look at 7 of the best power racks
- Best for a home gym: Rogue R-3 Power Rack
- Best portable rack: Titan T-3 Series Power Rack
- Best for added attachments: HulkFit 1000 Pound Capacity Multi-Function Adjustable Power Cage
- Best for large spaces: AMGYM Power Cage Rack Workout Station
- Best for stability: Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage
- Best for small spaces: Rogue RML-3WC Fold Back Wall Mount Rack
- Best for storing away: MyRack Folding Power Rack
Working out from home offers a person many advantages, including:
- freedom to exercise in their own time
- no waiting around to use equipment in a gym
- no commuting time
Adding a power rack to a home gym can help individuals bring more variety to their workout and, in turn, help improve personal fitness.
A power rack, or power cage, is a box-like structure, usually made from metal. This professional gym equipment typically has four vertical posts and two or more horizontal posts that a person can adjust to ensure safety when working out alone.
When a person is not using the power rack, they can use it to store other fitness equipment, such as bars, weight plates, weight belts, and fitness bands.
Are weights included?
Weights are essential for getting the most out of a power rack, but most models do not come with weights. Other standard attachments include pull-up bars and lateral pull-downs, an exercise that works the
People buying a power rack can typically make a purchasing plan to acquire the add-ons to meet their fitness goals.
- building strength and stability
- supporting blood sugar control
- potentially offsetting age-related bone loss and preventing osteoporosis
- decreasing mortality
- improving mental health
- continuous burning of calories after a workout
The benefits of a power rack include:
- Safety pins that work in the same way as spotters in a gym – people who prevent someone from dropping weights on themselves. This feature makes it safer to work with heavier weights and build strength.
- Support for working through
- A forced focus on maintaining good weightlifting technique.
In general, a power rack enables people to work out safely using heavy weights when alone. Employing proper techniques and using the safety pins of a power rack appropriately can help individuals
Medical News Today chooses fitness equipment that meets the following criteria:
- Price: MNT chooses products available for a wide range of budgets.
- Size and capacity: MNT selects products to suit people of different heights, weights, and strengths.
- Connectivity: Where fitness equipment has fitness memberships or subscriptions, MNT ensures variation in classes and services that benefit a person’s health.
- Materials: MNT chooses products that have safe and durable materials that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Ease of use: MNT selects simple-to-use products that have clear instructions. If the set-up is complicated, MNT chooses brands that offer a set-up or installation service.
- Quality: MNT chooses companies that adhere to high quality manufacturing processes that ensure its products are safe for personal use.
- Reputable: MNT chooses products from businesses that adhere to industry best practices and that offer reliable customer service and support.
When looking to buy a power rack a person may consider the following:
- Attachments: Some power racks come with attachments, such as chin up bars, whereas with others, people will need to purchase attachments separately.
- Space and size: A power rack should fit easily inside a person’s home. Power racks come in a variety of sizes, and some are foldable for easy storage when not in use.
- Weight capacity: A person should ensure that the power rack they purchase is suitable for the amount of weights they wish to use.
- Safety: A person should ensure they secure the rack to the floor correctly and the equipment is sturdy enough for use. It is also important to ensure the holes for the safety pins are of equal size and distance apart.
- Warranty: If a person chooses a product with a warranty, they should ensure they read the terms and conditions carefully before purchasing.
There are several power racks available to purchase online that are suitable for a range of preferences and spaces.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best for shorter spaces: Rogue R-3 Power Rack
- Price: $825
- Height: 90.375 in (standard) or 84.375 in (short)
- Width: 43 in
- Weight capacity: 1,000 pounds (lb)
- Warranty: limited lifetime warranty
This unit has a footprint of 53 x 34 in, so it does not take up much space.
The standard steel gauge uprights are 90 in, but the “Shorty” option is 84 in, to help it fit in rooms with lower ceilings.
Users appreciate its clean welds and overall sturdiness, as it can handle up to 1,000 lb. A person must bolt the Rogue R-3 to the floor before use.
As part of Rogue’s Infinity series, a person can easily find accessories to accompany their frame, with bars, benches, and plates being additional options at checkout.
Best for portability: Titan T-3 Series Power Rack
- Price: around $490–650
- Height: 82–91 in
- Width: 53.25 in
- Weight capacity: 1,100 lbs
- Warranty: 1-year limited warranty
This power rack is very similar to the Rogue R-3. It is available in 82- and 91-in models and has rack depths of 24 and 36 in. The overall footprint of the Titan T-3 is 54 x 44.75 in.
This power rack has a weight capacity of 1,100 lbs and is bolted together instead of welded. Bolting could make it less sturdy but does make it more easily portable. Users should bolt this power rack to the floor.
The Titan T-3 comes with one pair of pin or pipe safeties, a wider and thinner pull-up bar, four band pegs, and two plate posts.
Best for added attachments: HulkFit 1000 Pound Capacity Multi-Function Adjustable Power Cage
- Price: around $462
- Height: 80 in
- Width: 44 in
- User weight capacity: 1,000 lb
- Warranty: 2-year warranty
This free-standing unit has rubber feet and measures 81 x 44 x 47 in.
The HulkFit comes with two steel safety bars and many attachments, such as J-Hooks, two dip bars, and a multi-grip pull-up bar.
This power rack has a 1,000 lb weight capacity.
Best for large spaces: AMGYM Power Cage 1200lb capacity
- Price: list price of around $580
- Height: 88 in
- Width: 47 in
- User weight capacity: 1,200 lb
- Warranty: 30-day refund and replacement from Amazon
With a 47- x 54-in footprint and a pullup bar 89 in high, the AMGYM power rack creates a spacious workout zone.
It has attachments for different strength training exercises and an adjustable pull-up bar.
This power rack has a 1,200 lb weight capacity.
Best for stability: Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage
- Price: $589
- Height: 83.25 in
- Width: 46 in
- Weight capacity: 800 lb
- Warranty: 1-year limited warranty
This power rack has rear stability bars and two pairs of chrome safety bars that can work in 19 different levels.
This makes the Fitness Reality 810XLT suitable for everything from squats to pull-ups.
This power rack has an 800 lb weight capacity.
Best for small spaces: Rogue RML-3WC Fold Back Wall Mount Rack
- Price: $620
- Height: 90.375 in
- Width: 56 in
- Weight capacity: no information available
- Warranty: limited lifetime warranty
For those who need to save space, this power rack affixes to the wall but folds flat.
When folded up, it protrudes less than 5 in from the wall.
The manufacturer does not list a weight capacity. It comes in a variety of color options.
Best for a foldable rack: MyRack Folding Power Rack
- Price: around $600
- Height: 86 in
- Width: 49 in
- Weight capacity: 2,000 lb
- Warranty: lifetime structural warranty and 2-year warranty on cables and pulleys
ForceUSA says the MyRack folding rack is the world’s first folding, four-poster power rack.
It has a 2,000 lb weight capacity, allows for 50 different exercises, and is compatible with 10 different attachments. It comes with a multi-grip chin-up bar.
This power rack can be either free-standing or bolted in place.
The following table compares the power racks in this article.
|no information available
2 years on cables and pulleys
Below are the answers to some common questions about power racks.
How deep of a power rack do you need?
This is dependant on a person’s needs and space. A person needs enough space to accommodate exercises such as lifts and pull-ups.
Most power racks have a depth of at least 24 in.
Can you bench on a power rack?
An at-home power rack is generally more versatile than machines in a gym. People can use power racks for bench presses, as well as exercises such as squats, shoulder presses, and deadlifts.
Do you need to bolt down a power rack?
People should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when assembling the power rack.
Some manufacturers weld the racks so that people do not need to bolt it down. However, bolting down the power rack can reduce the risk of injury.
A power rack is a professional piece of gym equipment that helps people pursue one of the essential elements of physical fitness — strength training.
Many different models of power racks are available. To find the unit that is right for them, a person should consider which aspects of strength training are most important and then look for a power rack to help them reach their personal goals.