We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Choosing the most suitable twin mattress for children can help support good quality sleep and overall health and well-being.
Many brands offer mattresses designed to suit kids. This article looks at some products to take into account when searching for the best twin mattress for children.
When searching for the right mattress, it is important to consider the following:
- materials in use and any allergies of the child
- sleeping habits of the child
- eco-friendly and sustainable materials
There are some potential benefits to choosing a twin bed for kids. These include:
- Space: Less floor space is in use than with larger mattress sizes and bed frames.
- Cost-effective: In the long term, a twin bed will be more cost-effective than a toddler bed, as the child will not outgrow it.
- Extra comfort: There is more space on a twin bed than on a toddler bed, meaning they can move around more. It also means more room for parents and caregivers to sit on the bed and read a bedtime story with a child.
There are also some disadvantages associated with choosing a twin bed for kids:
- No rails: A toddler bed would come with a rail to prevent a child from rolling out of bed in their sleep.
- Cost: Upgrading from a crib or toddler bed to a twin bed will require spending money on another mattress.
Below, we list some of the mattresses for kids available on the market.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
This is a memory foam mattress with a medium-firm feel.
The breathable fabric makes it ideal for those children who overheat when they sleep. The memory foam feature will provide comfort during sleep.
Customers receive a 1-year sleep trial with a Forever Warranty, alongside two free pillows, sheets, and a mattress protector.
Nest Bedding My BKB – Big Kids Bed
Nest Bedding designed this mattress specifically for kids and toddlers. The company claim it is suitable for children no matter what position they sleep in.
With a polyester cover to help regulate temperature, this mattress will be suitable for toddlers and kids that get hot during sleep.
Customers receive a 100-night sleep trial and a limited lifetime warranty.
Saatva Youth Mattress
The company created this dual-sided mattress for children. One side provides firmer support, recommended for children aged 8–12. The softer side is suitable for kids aged 3–7.
This mattress has a water-resistant barrier to protect against accidents and spills.
The mattress is also environmentally friendly, as it is hypoallergenic and has an organic cotton cover.
It comes with a 180-night sleep trial and a 12-year warranty.
Joybed LX uses organic cotton and natural wool. It is a potential option for people looking for an alternative to foam or latex mattresses.
Due to its breathability and a layer of eco-wool, which helps take heat away from the body, this model may suit children who get hot at night.
Joybed LX comes with a 120-night sleep trial and a 10-year limited warranty.
Avocado Vegan Mattress
This mattress has medium-firm support. The company also offer the addition of a pillow top for added comfort.
The mattress comes with a 1-year trial and a 25-year warranty.
Perfect Cloud Kids Mattress
This product, specifically made for kids, is a memory foam mattress that comes with a matching pillow and teddy bear. Customers can choose from two colors: pink and blue.
The product is naturally hypoallergenic and dust mite-resistant. A velvet cover gives the mattress a soft look and feel.
Customers receive a 10-year warranty and a 120-night sleep trial.
There is a range of different styles and sizes of mattresses for kids. Twin mattresses are just one option.
Different size options include:
- a crib mattress
- a toddler mattress that goes on a toddler bed frame with a small railing
- a twin extra-large mattress, which is slightly bigger in length than a twin mattress to accommodate taller or older children
People can also choose from different mattress materials. These change the feel and durability. Common options include:
- Hybrid: A hybrid mattress has several layers and combines memory foam, latex, or gel with innersprings. It provides support while being soft and comfortable.
- Memory foam: Memory foam mattresses mold to the shape of a person’s body.
- Innerspring mattress: This type of mattress contains coils surrounded by padding and provides support to heavier areas of the body.
The National Sleep Foundation state that people need different amounts of sleep depending on their age. They recommend the following number of hours of sleep per night:
- toddlers: 11–14 hours
- children aged 3–5 years: 10–13 hours
- children aged 6–13 years: 9–11 hours
- teenagers (aged 14–17 years): 8–10 hours
- establishing a routine, such as reading a bedtime story
- having children go to bed and wake up at the same time every day
- not allowing electronic devices in the bedroom
- engaging children in physical activity during daytime, which will allow them to fall asleep more easily
- keeping the bedroom quiet and a comfortable temperature
There is very little research that indicates how a mattress can affect sleep in children.
According to a 2015 study, a medium-firm mattress is generally best for quality and comfort of sleep, as well as proper spinal alignment. However, this study examined the effects of different mattress designs on adults. Therefore, the same may not be true of children.
There is no evidence to suggest which mattress is best for children. It is advisable for parents and caregivers to take into account the child’s needs, sleeping habits, and age.
Potential considerations when choosing a mattress include cost, materials, and health concerns.
Reading product reviews on different websites can help get an overall unbiased picture of the pros and cons of a mattress.