We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Echelon offers rowing machines and membership programs that allow individuals to access live and on-demand instructor-led fitness classes from their home. Members can also compete with each other.
Rowing provides a low impact workout that targets numerous muscle groups without putting excessive pressure on the joints. People can change the speed, resistance, and duration of rowing workouts, so this form of exercise can suit both beginners and those who exercise regularly.
This article discusses the Echelon brand and its rowing machines. It also explores the health benefits and risks of rowing and suggests some alternative brands and equipment that people can consider.
Echelon is a home gym company that manufactures rowing machines, exercise bikes, and fitness accessories. These accessories include water bottles, bike shoes, workout mats, and gel seat covers.
Learn about the range of Echelon bikes here.
Customers can subscribe to Echelon’s membership plan, which offers live and on-demand fitness classes. A person may also receive feedback from the company’s instructors. Customers can add free user profiles for up to four friends and family members if they want to exercise or compete with others.
According to Echelon’s website, people can sync their equipment to various fitness applications, including Strava, Apple Health, and FitBit. These apps allow users to monitor their heart rate and track their fitness progress.
Echelon offers a 30-day return policy, so if a person is not satisfied with a product, they can return it for a replacement or refund within this time frame.
The brand also offers a 1-year warranty on all products. If people experience any issues, they can contact the company’s customer care representatives.
At the time of publication, Echelon has 1.7 out of 5 stars from customers on Trustpilot.
Positive reviews focus on the quality of the company’s products, with users appreciating the ease of adjusting the handles and seats for optimal comfort. Some reviewers also praise how quiet the Echelon machines are when in use.
Negative reviews revolve around customer service issues. Some customers report that the company’s representatives were unable to solve the problems that they had with their products. In some cases, the company apparently could not track their order, or the equipment arrived damaged.
Echelon also has a customer rating of 1.2 out of 5 stars on Better Business Bureau (BBB). The website states that Echelon is not BBB-accredited and lists 407 complaints that people have filed, many of which concern delayed shipping. Many individuals also mention that they did not receive any updates from Echelon regarding their orders.
People can find two rowing machines on Echelon’s website. The machines have a rotating screen so that users can easily engage in different workout programs, such as:
- high intensity interval training (HIIT)
The rowing machines use magnetic resistance, which reduces noise levels. The frame design helps minimize friction for continuous motion.
The following table provides an at-a-glance comparison of the two Echelon rowers.
|Echelon Row||Echelon Row-s|
|Dimensions (LxWxH)||83.46 x 20.47 x 41.73 inches (in)||85 x 24 x 18 in|
|Folded dimensions (LxWxH)||no information available||48 x 24 x 69 in|
|Streaming capabilities||integrated device holder||22-in screen|
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
- Price: $999.99
- Resistance levels: 32 silent magnetic resistance levels
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 83.46 x 20.47 x 41.73 in
- Folded dimensions: no information available
This rowing machine offers 32 silent magnetic resistance levels, which the company claims provide low impact workouts.
It is foldable and comes with built-in wheels for ease of storage. It has an easy-glide seat and ergonomic handlebars, which feature controls that allow users to change resistance levels while exercising.
The smart console allows users to attach their tablet or phone to a device holder during workouts. The console swivels so people can keep watching their screen while exercising off the rowing machine.
- Price: $1,599.99
- Resistance levels: 32 silent magnetic resistance levels
- Dimensions: 85 x 24 x 18 in
- Folded dimensions: 48 x 24 x 69 in
The Echelon Row-s has many similar features to the standard Echelon Row model, but it comes with a 22-in rotating HD screen that can pivot 180 degrees. There are also dual audio jacks and built-in speakers.
This rower has an easy-glide seat and adjustable foot platform for greater comfort while exercising.
Before purchasing an Echelon rower, people may wish to consider the pros and cons.
- Returns and replacements: People can return their products for a replacement or refund if they are not satisfied with their order.
- Echelon’s membership: Customers may add up to four user profiles to their membership. This may be beneficial if they want to compete or train with friends or family members.
- Storage space: Echelon’s rowers may suit individuals with limited storage space, as they have a foldable design.
- Wheels: The built-in wheels may be helpful if people want to move the equipment.
- Shipping delays: The company warns that there may be shipping delays during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Cost: Echelon’s rowers may not suit individuals with a limited budget. However, a person can choose to pay in monthly installments.
- Health conditions: Rowers may not be the best workout equipment for people with back pain.
- Poor posture and prolonged sitting: Individuals with poor posture and those who do not exercise regularly may have an increased chance of injury.
Rowing can provide many health benefits, including boosting cardiovascular fitness and building muscle strength. However, rowing machines come with some risks.
An older research article suggests that rowing exercises may help improve pulmonary function in children with Down syndrome. The researchers divided the participants into two groups. The first group received a chest physical therapy program, and the second performed aerobic exercises on a rowing machine. The researchers found that both treatments were effective in all participants.
Risks and safety considerations
Rowing machines provide a full body workout, as individuals have to use their arms, legs, and core muscles.
However, people may sustain injuries while using a rowing machine. Common injuries include:
- lower back pain
- upper back pain
- wrist tendonitis
- knee pain
- rib stress fractures
The AHA also states that a person should cool down after a workout. After exercising, the body’s temperature is raised, and the heart rate is higher than normal. If a person does not gradually decrease their heart rate and body temperature, they may feel sick or faint.
Several other companies produce rowing machines, including:
- NordicTrack: This company manufactures rowers and other home gym equipment, such as treadmills, bikes, and ellipticals. People can choose from three rower models on NordicTrack’s website. Learn more about NordicTrack here.
- Hydrow: This company offers a smart rowing machine and subscription service for streaming live classes. Learn more about Hydrow here.
- Sunny Health & Fitness: This company produces magnetic, water, fan, and hydraulic rowers. It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Learn more about the best rowing machines here.
The following table compares Echelon to the above brands.
|Echelon||NordicTrack||Hydrow||Sunny Health & Fitness|
|Rowers||• Echelon Row|
• Echelon Row-s
• Hydrow Wave
|Membership||Echelon Premier, from $29.16 per month||iFIT, from $39 per month||All-Access Membership costing $38 per month||SunnyFit app, free to use|
Individuals may also wish to consider other home gym equipment such as:
Alternatively, people can use their body weight to perform a full body workout that includes exercises such as squats, lunges, and pushups.
Here we answer some common questions about the rowers.
Can I use an Echelon rower without a subscription?
All Echelon rowers are usable without a subscription.
However, people will not be able to access live and on-demand classes without purchasing a membership.
Can I watch TV on an Echelon rower?
People can watch or stream TV on both rower models.
The Echelon Row has a tablet holder that people can place their smart devices on to stream shows. The Echelon Row-s has an integrated digital screen that people can use to watch shows.
Do Echelon rowers fold?
Yes, Echelon rowers are foldable.
Echelon offers two rowing machines, which come with different features. A person may also subscribe to a membership to access workout classes and compete with other users.
Studies suggest that rowing machines come with benefits and risks. Rowing may increase muscle strength and boost cardiac health, but it may not be suitable for individuals prone to lower back pain.