We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Horizon Fitness sells a range of treadmills alongside other exercise equipment, such as stationary bikes and elliptical machines.
This article discusses the Horizon brand and the treadmills it offers. It also covers the health benefits and risks of using treadmills and lists some alternative equipment for consideration.
Horizon Fitness manufacture treadmills, elliptical trainers, and stationary bicycles. The Taiwan-based company Johnson Health Tech is its parent company.
Equipment from Horizon Fitness may suit both beginners and experienced athletes. The company’s products usually cost less than exercise equipment from other brands.
One key difference between a Horizon treadmill and other options involves interactive and streaming training programs. While companies such as Peloton and NordicTrack offer branded online classes and personal training, Horizon does not.
Instead, Horizon treadmills allow users to connect with whatever training applications they prefer. This feature gives users the chance to select the trainers or classes that meet their needs. It also lowers the price of their equipment relative to other options on the market.
On the Horizon Fitness website, user reviews praise how quickly a Horizon treadmill can change speed and level of incline, which is very useful when doing interval training. Negative reviews usually concern shipping, customer service, and receiving damaged equipment.
- Lower cost equipment than competitors.
- Equipment is suitable for different fitness levels.
- Connection to preferred exercise apps.
- Does not provide tailored workouts.
- Some customers report delayed shipping and broken equipment.
- Negative customer service reviews.
Horizon does not provide personalized workouts and classes.
However, some treadmills in the Studio series have high intensity interval training (HIIT), fat-burning, and sprint programs. These programs may help people maintain a moderate weight and use certain muscles, such as the glutes and calves. Horizon does not update the programs.
Horizon Fitness has a Trustpilot score of 3.8 out of 5 stars. Positive reviews discuss the quality of the treadmills and the price. Negative reviews discuss customer service, maintenance, and shipping.
Johnson Health Tech, which owns Horizon Fitness, has a B- rating with the Better Business Bureau. At the time of publishing, the BBB does not accredit the company. The company has closed 47 complaints in the past twelve months. Many complaints discuss faulty equipment and the warranty policy.
There are two divisions of Horizon treadmills: the Go Series and the Studio Series. While each Horizon treadmill has specific features, they also have some characteristics in common.
All Horizon treadmills are foldable. The running area of each Horizon treadmill features a three-zone variable cushioning system, which provides different levels of support and absorption for the areas where runners push off, transition, and land.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Horizon Go Series
The company states that the Horizon Go Series features a range of low cost treadmills that “make it easy to get on and go.” Models include:
Best for beginners: T101
- Price: $649
- Pro: Lowest price Horizon treadmill.
- Con: Smaller running area than others in series.
Horizon claims that the T101 is its best-selling treadmill. Geared to the entry-level exerciser, it has the lowest price of all Horizon treadmill models.
It includes Bluetooth connectivity and a 55 inch (in) running deck.
Best value for money: T202
- Price: $799
- Pro: 0-12% incline range.
- Con: Some older reviews mention difficulty connecting apps to the treadmill.
The T202 is similar to the T101. However, it has a larger speed and incline range than the T101 model.
It also has Bluetooth connectivity and a 60-inch (in) running deck.
Horizon Studio Series
Horizon has designed its Studio Series for users doing HIIT and streaming cardiovascular exercise classes.
Each Horizon treadmill in this series uses the Johnson Digital Drive System, which the company claims responds 33% faster to changes in speed and incline. The series includes:
Best for all fitness levels: 7.0 AT
- Price: $999
- Pro: Lowest price treadmill in the Studio Series.
- Con: Deck is smaller than other treadmills in the series.
Horizon claims that this treadmill is built with a rugged frame to enhance performance. It comes with advanced Bluetooth connectivity and integrated speakers.
The company also states that the QuickDial controls and interval keys work well with training apps and streaming fitness classes.
Best for HIIT training: 7.4 AT
- Price: $1,599
- Pro: Integrated Sprint 8 HIIT program.
- Con: Fewer features than the 7.8 AT.
The company calls this product a “performance” treadmill.
This model also offers key features from the 7.0 version, including advanced Bluetooth connectivity and integrated speakers.
It also has an expanded running surface, enabling tougher workouts.
Best for reaching top speed: 7.8 AT
- Price: $1,999
- Pro: In-reach media controls.
- Con: Heaviest treadmill in the series.
Horizon calls this model the “ultimate runner’s treadmill.”
It offers more features than other Studio Series models, including a Bluetooth chest strap, more convenient media controls, and a clear view of data.
The guidelines note that regular physical activity may help reduce the risk of all-cause mortality and the following health conditions, among others:
Some research suggests that regular jogging may increase overall lifespan.
It is important to note that the benefits of running outdoors may differ from the benefits of using a treadmill. Also, excessive running will not increase the health benefits. Running safely and regularly is more important.
One of the most important health benefits of treadmills is that they make it easier to exercise regularly.
People with injuries or joint problems may need to refrain from running on treadmills to avoid worsening symptoms. However, walking on a treadmill may help rehabilitation in some situations. Talk with a doctor or another health professional if you have any concerns.
Other risks associated with treadmill use include:
- tripping or falling while running or walking
- working out too vigorously for an individual’s ability or state of health
- sustaining injuries due to poor form on the treadmill
People should warm up before exercising and cool down afterward. Those new to treadmills should start on a low-level setting before gradually increasing the speed, incline, and duration to suit their ability level.
Other types of home gym equipment can offer similar benefits to treadmills. Alternative options include:
- Stationary bikes: These bikes are common in public gyms, but many companies, including Horizon, offer models for use at home. These can suit beginners and experts. Learn more about exercise bikes here.
- Elliptical trainers: These machines provide a workout similar to running, but it is low impact and, therefore, usually easier on the joints. Some machines include an upper body component, too. Learn more about some of the best ellipticals here.
- Rowing machines: These machines provide a low impact, aerobic, full body workout, strengthening the legs, core, and upper body. Learn more about rowing machines here.
- Fitness mirrors: This more expensive equipment may look like a mirror, but it is a screen that can show live and on-demand workouts for those interested in cardio, boxing, yoga, strength training, and more. A subscription is necessary to access this workout content. Learn about the Mirror home gym by Lululemon here.
We answer some of the most common questions about Horizon treadmills below:
Which Horizon treadmill should I choose?
This depends on a person’s goals.
The T101 may be more suitable for less experienced treadmill users. If a person wants to add HIIT to their exercise regime, the T303, 7.0 AT, 7.4 AT, or 7.8 AT have HIIT integrated systems and programs.
A person can check individual product specifications and comparison tables on the Horizon Fitness website.
Are Horizon treadmills better than a competitor?
This depends on individual needs.
Horizon does not provide personal workout classes. This may suit people who want to choose their workout on a separate workout app and stream it to their Horizon treadmill. However, others may prefer the ease of use with workouts already provided.
Its treadmills may also be less costly than other brands.
Who manufactures Horizon treadmills?
Johnson Health Tech, based in Taiwan, is the parent company of Horizon Fitness.
Horizon Fitness manufactures a range of treadmills and other types of exercise equipment for home use.
The company’s treadmills can meet the needs of people at all stages of their fitness journey, including those just beginning to exercise at home and experienced athletes.
The company’s products tend to be more modest in price than their competitors.