We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Schwinn sells several varieties of indoor bikes, including the IC4. The IC4 is an upright bike designed for spin classes. The unit has a device holder and a display showing exercise data such as heart rate and calories burned.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Nautilus, Inc. owns Schwinn and other properties, such as Bowflex. Nautilus has sold fitness equipment since 1986.
According to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Nautilus holds an A- rating but is not BBB accredited. It is responsive to customer complaints filed on the BBB website. Of 5 complaints in the past 3 years, all 5 have been closed.
On Trustpilot, customers generally leave poor reviews of Schwinn bikes. Although the entry is for the IC4, most of the 14 reviews appear to discuss Schwinn bikes in general, not the specific model. Schwinn holds 1.9 out of 5 stars on the website. Negative reviews often cite shipping delays and poor customer service experiences. Reviews also mention that the pedals break off easily.
Positive reviews on Amazon show a different response from customers. Of over 4,500 reviews, 78% of them are 5-star reviews. Many positive reviews mention the sturdy build and the value for money. Some also mention their purchase of the Schwinn IC4 has given them an affordable alternative to a Peloton bike.
The Schwinn IC4 is an upright stationary bike.
Some of the bikes features include:
- a holder for a phone or tablet
- a built-in screen display showing distance traveled, time, calories burned, heart rate, and revolutions per minute (RPM)
- heart rate monitoring
- two water bottle holders
- Bluetooth connectivity
- a pair of 3-pound (lb) dumbbells and holders on the bike
- a USB adapter
It can connect to the Peloton and Zwift apps. However, people have to use their tablet or phone and attach it to the mounts on the bike, as it does not include a screen to stream on.
The pedals are available with standard toe cages or SPD cleats. The bike uses magnetic resistance and has 100 microlevels.
Payment and shipping
Before confirming their purchase, customers can apply for financing for the Schwinn IC4 bike. The rate and terms will vary based on the person’s credit score. If accepted, a person could pay off the purchase over time in small, regular installments.
Schwinn offers free shipping in the continental United States.
A person can have a technician come in to set up the bike for an additional fee. The service will take one or more days following delivery and must be scheduled once the bike arrives.
Alternatively, a person can use the included instructions to assemble the bike themselves. Major bike components come assembled, but a person needs to attach pieces such as the handlebars, seat, pedals, and other components.
The IC4 comes with a standard warranty plan that breaks down as follows:
- Frame: 10 years
- Mechanical: 3 years
- Electrical: 1 year
- Labor: 90 days
For an additional cost, a person can purchase a protection plan to extend parts and labor warranties to 5 years.
Customers have 6 weeks from the time of delivery to return their bike for any reason. Before returning the bike, a person needs to call their customer care center to request a return merchandise authorization number. The customer adds this number to the box and any other specified area for Schwinn to correctly process the return.
A person gets the full price of the item back, minus the cost of shipping and handling. The company does not refund additional fees, such as those for assembly.
A person should read the full return policy before returning the bike.
The Schwinn IC4 indoor cycling bike has various benefits and disadvantages:
- People can use either toe clips or regular sneakers to ride.
- People can use a personal device while riding a bike.
- It has a generally sturdy frame.
- It allows the user to work both the upper and lower body.
- It is a quiet ride.
- Lower cost than similar competitors.
- It does not include a built-in screen, which means that people interested in a streaming service will need to provide their own device to access it.
- The pedals may break easily, according to customer reviews on Amazon.
- The calibration of speed, RPM information, and other metrics built into the bike may not be accurate.
- The first 50 resistance levels may not feel very different.
The Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycling bike is a low cost alternative for people who would like to use higher-end indoor cycling bikes, such as a Peloton bike.
As an upright bike that comes with dumbbells, it is also suitable for those looking for additional workout equipment.
It operates quietly, which may suit people with concerns about noise levels.
Some similar exercise bikes from alternative brands include:
- MYX Fitness: This company sells an exercise bike in a bundle with at-home workout equipment, including kettlebells, stretch bands, and foam rollers. Learn more about MYX Fitness here.
- Peloton: This company sells a direct competitor to the IC4 at roughly double the price. It includes access to Peloton fitness classes but does not connect to other apps. Learn more about Peloton here.
- NordicTrack: This company offers bikes and other exercise equipment with the ability to stream classes through iFit. Learn more about NordicTrack here.
Using a stationary bike can help people reach their fitness goals at home. According to the
Stretching before and after using an exercise bike, alongside avoiding excessive exercise, may help prevent strain and injuries. Avoiding prolonged flexed positions by varying one’s cycling routine may also help prevent strain and injuries.
A Schwinn IC4 bike can connect to various apps that provide streaming workouts. These workouts may help some people stay motivated and help them reach their fitness goals.
Before starting any new workout, a person should talk with a doctor about any health concerns.
The following are common questions and answers about the Schwinn IC4 bike:
Does the Schwinn IC4 require a subscription?
Users do not need a subscription to use this bike.
However, if they wish to use the Explore the World app, Schwinn’s workout subscription service, or any other compatible workout apps such as Peleton or Zwift, a subscription fee is necessary.
What is the difference between the Schwinn IC4 and Peloton?
Differences between the 2 bikes include:
- Price: The Schwinn IC4 is a lower-cost option
- Weight and dimensions: The Schwinn IC4 is smaller and lighter than the Peloton Bike. The Peloton Bike weighs 135 lbs, and the dimensions measure at 59″ length, 53″ height, and 23″ width. The Schwinn IC4 weighs 106 lbs and the dimensions measure at 48.7″ length, 51.8″ height, and 21.2″ width.
- Touchscreen: The Peloton Bike has a 21.5 in touchscreen for both the user stats and streaming. The Schwinn IC4 has a small digital screen to display user stats, but it does not have a screen to stream music or apps, so a user must use their own tablet or phone.
Is the Schwinn IC4 comfortable?
The Schwinn IC4 has an adjustable padded seat and adjustable handles that turn 4 ways for a ride best suited to the user.
Does the Schwinn IC4 have enough resistance?
The Schwinn bike uses magnetic resistance to provide a quieter ride to the user. It has 100 resistance levels, although the first 50 may not show much difference between them.
The Schwinn IC4 is an indoor exercise bike for home use in virtual spin classes. It does not have a screen for workouts, but it is compatible with various apps that people can download to their device and then attach to the bike.
The bike is generally well-liked, but some customers mention customer service issues and the pedals breaking off. People who like the bike mention that it is good value for the price, operates quietly, and is sturdy.