We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Using a weighted blanket may promote relaxation and help people get better sleep. However, due to their extra weight, these blankets can trap heat and moisture, which may mean that standard options may be unsuitable for hot sleepers.
A quick look at 7 of the best weighted blankets for hot sleepers
- Best for even weight distribution: Gravity Cooling Weighted Blanket
- Best for a cotton blanket: ZonLi Bamboo Weighted Blanket
- Best for children and adults: Syrinx Cooling Weighted Blanket
- Best for a bamboo blanket: Luna Cooling Bamboo Weighted Blanket
- Best for a handknit design: Bearaby Tree Napper
- Best for multiple weight options: Sweet Zzz Organic Weighted Blanket
- Best for multiple sizes: Baloo Weighted Blanket
Hot sleepers may find a regular weighted blanket too hot for sleeping. Instead, they may want to choose a weighted blanket that provides a cooling effect.
Most weighted blankets contain glass beads for weight, and manufacturers often stitch these into pockets within the blanket to provide an even distribution. Others may use heavier fabrics or materials for extra pressure.
Cooling weighted blankets use breathable fabrics, such as cotton or bamboo, and they may come with contain temperature regulating technology.
This article will look at options for cooling, breathable weighted blankets, which can apply pressure to the body while helping regulate temperature.
Medical News Today chooses mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding that meet the following criteria:
- Certifications: MNT will choose products that have CertiPUR-US or other certifications. This means that the products are low in pollutants and free from heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.
- Size: MNT chooses products that are available in various sizes.
- Materials and fill: MNT selects products made from different materials and fills, such as memory foam and latex, to suit a range of sleep and lifestyles.
- Budget: MNT features products to suit a wide range of budgets.
- Shipping: Where possible, MNT will include shipping information, such as where the company delivers to and whether shipping is free.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products that carry warranties and clear returns policies.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best for even weight distribution: Gravity Cooling Weighted Blanket
Price: Starts at around $123
The Gravity Cooling Weighted Blanket comes with a cool and breathable fabric, available with eucalyptus-derived lyocell construction.
It has a removable cover that a person can cold machine wash and low tumble dry. Its inner blanket, however, is hand-washable.
Some other features include the following:
- gray, white, or blue color options
- a moisture-wicking, breathable cover for a cooling effect
- glass beads contained within a stitched grid for even distribution
- a zip that keeps the inner blanket in place
The blanket is available in three weight options: 15, 20, 25, and 35 pounds (lb)
Best for a cotton blanket: ZonLi Bamboo Weighted Blanket
Price: Starts at $187.90
The ZonLi Bamboo Weighted Blanket uses 100% cotton to keep the body cool and is available in a range of weights and sizes.
The company claims that it is easy to clean.
It also states that this weighted blanket has a high density sewing technique which helps keep the weight-providing glass beads in place.
Some other features include:
- a bamboo viscose layer for temperature control
- nontoxic, odorless glass bead filling
- seven layers to prevent glass beads from shifting
- hypoallergenic properties
The weights are available as follows:
- 15 lb for the 48 x 72-in blanket option
- 20 lb for the 60 x 80-in option
Best for children and adults: Syrinx Cooling Weighted Blanket
Price: starts at around $39.99
The Syrinx Cooling Weighted Blanket contains six layers, which the company claims improves breathability.
A person should spot or dry clean and air dry this blanket, as it is not suitable for tumble drying or ironing.
This bedding product is available in five different sizes, so it may be a good choice for children and adults. Additionally, there are different weight options for each size.
In general, some of its main features include:
- a range of color, size, and weight options
- even distribution of nontoxic glass beads
- corner loops to attach to other bedding
Best for a bamboo blanket: Luna Cooling Bamboo Weighted Blanket
Price: starts at $64.99
The Luna Cooling Bamboo Weighted Blanket uses 100% lyocell bamboo for its cooling effects. Bamboo is antimicrobial and a sustainable material.
The blanket comes with polyester filling that the manufacturer gets from recycled plastic bottles and medical-grade glass beads.
It is machine-washable, but Luna recommends using a low wash setting, even when drying.
Further to that, this cooling bamboo weighted blanket has a smooth and silky feel, with evenly distributed weight.
Along with its Oeko-Tex certified materials, which are natural and sustainable, this weighted blanket uses earth-friendly materials, as its lyocell comes from bamboo, a resource-efficient material.
Some other features include the following:
- a range of color options
- five sizing options, including one for children
- OEKO-TEX 100 certified
- corner ties to attach the blanket to a bed
- weights of 15, 10, and 20 lb
Best for a handknit design: Bearaby Tree Napper
Price: starts at $269
The Bearaby Tree Napper is a plant-based weighted blanket that comes with Tencel Lyocell construction, made from eucalyptus fibers. It has a cool-to-the-touch, silky feel.
The company also states that it has a handknit design.
The blanket has a machine-washable design, and the company recommends cleaning it on its own on a delicate or permanent press wash cycle. They can tumble dry the blanket on a low setting as well.
These are other features:
- weight options of 15, 20, or 25 lb
- three color options
- moisture-wicking and highly absorbent material
- OEKO-TEX 100, Forest Stewardship Council, and Fairtrade International certified
Best for multiple weight options: Sweet Zzz Organic Weighted Blanket
Price: starts at $119
The Sweet Zzz Organic Weighted Blanket comes with a seven-layer design, distributing the weight evenly and muffling sound.
The blanket’s construction features breathable and natural materials, such as GOTS-certified cotton and rayon derived from bamboo. There are also glass beads that contribute to the blanket’s weight and providing steady temperature.
A person may benefit from other features:
- optional 2-sided duvet cover, which is available at an extra fee
- OEKO-TEX certification
- five weight options: 7, 10, 15, 20, and 25 lb
Best for multiple sizes: Baloo Weighted Blanket
Price: starts at $149
This weighted blanket features a 100% cotton construction which provides a cool and breathable feeling. It gets its weight from glass beads kept in place with double stitching.
Individuals can choose their preferred size, weight, and color.
The weights and sizes are available as follows:
- Mini: This may suit children and adults, and has a weight of 9 lb and dimensions of 40 x 60 in.
- Throw: This may fit sofas and twin beds. It weighs 12 lb and is available in 42 x 72 in.
- Full and queen-sized: It weighs 15 lb and measures 60 x 80 in
- Full and queen-sized: Its weight is 20 lb and dimensions are 60 x 80 in
- King-sized: It has a weight of 25 lb and dimensions of 80 x 87 in
The blanket also offers some other features:
- carbon-neutral and vegan
- chemical and plastic-free
- natural dye colors
- different colors to choose from
Thread count information is not available.
The following table compares the products in this article
|TENCEL||Organic cotton and bamboo||Organic cotton|
|Weight||15, 20, 25, and 35 lb||15 and 20 lb||5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, and 30 lb||15, 10, and 20 lb||15, 20, or 25 lb||7, 10, 15, 20, and 25 lb||9, 12, 15, 20, and 25 lb|
|Washable||machine-washable cover and hand-washable internal blanket||machine-washable cover, hand-washable or dry clean internal blanket||Spot or dry clean and air dry||machine-washable blanket||machine-washable blanket||Dry clean or hand wash||machine-washable blanket|
|Colors||Gray, white||Khaki, navy blue||Dark gray, lovely pink, romantic blue, pure gray||Light grey, navy, dark grey, light blue, pink||Driftwood, maple, mahogany, cocoa, rosemary, almond, elderberry, amber||Gray||Different colors available for different sizes|
|Hypoallergenic||Not stated||Yes||Not stated||Yes||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|Certifications||Not stated||Not stated||Not stated||OEKO-TEX 100||OEKO-TEX 100, Fairtrade International||GOTS-certified cotton, OEKO-TEX 100||Not stated|
|Price||Starts at around $123||Starts at $187.90||starts at around $39.99||starts at $64.99||starts at $269||starts at $119||starts at $149|
People who sleep hot may want to consider the following when choosing a weighted blanket:
- Weight: Most brands recommend that people choose a blanket that weighs 10% of their body weight.
- Fabrics: Choose cool-to-the-touch fabrics as they may feel cooler to the body. Some fabrics, such as cotton and bamboo are breathable, so they may suit those who tend to sleep hot. Choosing a weighted blanket with absorbent, moisture-wicking properties may also be a good idea to draw heat away from the body. A person with allergies may opt for hypoallergenic materials. People with allergies may prefer weighted blankets that have hypoallergenic materials.
- Sustainability and certifications: Some companies hold certain certifications, such as the OEKO-TEX Standard 100. This means that the product is safe to use as the company tests the ingredients for harmful substances.
- Care: Some weighted blanks come with an easy care design, meaning they are machine-washable and have a removable cover.
- Price: There is a great variety in prices for weighted blankets, so look for one that is budget-appropriate
Some alternative products are available that offer a similar experience to weight blankets. The section below will look at these in more detail.
The Sleep Pod by Hug Sleep is an alternative to a weighted blanket. It may suit people looking for a lighter option that still applies pressure.
The Sleep Pod is a cocoon-shaped, breathable sheet that covers the entire body, making it seem like it is hugging the individual.
People can choose a small, medium, or large size.
According to the company’s website, it provides calming pressure to help reduce anxiety.
People can also look for other bedding products such as:
Research into the benefits and risks of weighted blankets is ongoing. The sections below will look at some potential benefits and risks.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that can create feelings of relaxation.
Deep pressure may also help calm and relax people with the following conditions:
People with certain conditions that affect their respiratory system or circulation may wish to avoid using weighted blankets, as they may worsen their symptoms.
For example, weighted blankets can cause breathing difficulties for those with poorly controlled asthma or untreated obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). This may also be true for persons with poor circulation, such as those with longstanding and poorly controlled diabetes.
Young children and infants should avoid using weighted blankets, as they may pose a risk of suffocation.
Individuals may find that making certain changes to their sleeping environment and habits may help them sleep cooler. For example, they could:
- try using a fan or an air conditioner
- choose breathable sleepwear and bedding
- avoid exercising close to bedtime
- avoid eating spicy foods close to bedtime
If a person changes their sleeping environment but does not see any improvements, they can contact a doctor to check for any underlying causes.
Below we answer three FAQs about weighted blankets.
Do weighted blankets make you sleep hot?
They do not have to. Weighted blankets are heavy, so they can trap heat and moisture, making a person sleep hot. However, some weighted blankets are breathable and have a heat-wicking material to keep the body cool during sleep.
Can weighted blankets help with night sweats?
Cooling weighted blankets may help with night sweats if they contains fabrics that:
- are breathable
- absorb moisture or wick it away from the body
- feel cool to the touch
Are weighted blankets warm enough for winter?
Some weighted blankets may be warm enough for cold temperatures. To find a blanket that can be both cooling enough to keep people from sleeping hot and warm enough for cold weather, look for blankets that emphasize regulating temperature or have two-sided covers with different fabrics.
Weighted blankets may help promote relaxation and ease stress and anxiety. Some studies suggest that these could also help improve sleep quality and ease insomnia.
If a person is looking for a weighted blanket but sleeps hot, choosing a blanket with cooling properties may help. They can look for cooling, breathable fabrics, such as cotton or bamboo.
If they still feel hot during sleep, it may be best to contact a doctor. They can check for any underlying health conditions and suggest options to improve sleep.