We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
While sleeping on the stomach can feel comfortable, it may harm the neck and the back. However, some mattresses have been designed to accommodate stomach sleepers.
A 2017 study suggests that spending most of the night on the stomach is relatively rare, with sleepers spending an average of just 7.3% of sleep time on their stomachs.
In this article, we look at mattresses that claim to be suitable for people who sleep on their stomachs.
The companies that developed the mattresses below say that they are suitable for stomach sleepers.
Please note, however, that our statements are based only on research. No one at Medical News Today, including the writer, has tried these products.
Nectar memory foam
The Nectar memory foam mattress offers medium-firm support.
The company state that the product’s gel foam more evenly distributes body weight, and they highlight the mattress’ cooling Tencel cover.
It is available in six sizes and has a trial period of 365 nights.
The Purple mattress has a foam grid to relieve pressure points, and the company states that it adapts to a person’s sleep position.
It also has open-air channels to create a cooling effect, they say, highlighting that the mattress’ soft top layer provides comfort, while the deeper layers ensure adequate support.
The company advertise the mattress as nontoxic and hypoallergenic, and it comes with a 100-night trial and a 10-year warranty.
It is available in seven sizes.
Novosbed memory foam mattress
The company state that this mattress has three layers of supportive memory foam:
- The comfort zone: This helps keep a person cool and provides cushioning.
- The transition zone: This layer provides pressure point relief and body contouring.
- The support zone: This layer evenly distributes body weight and provides support.
A person can choose between three firmness options, but the company recommend that stomach sleepers opt for a medium or firm choice.
The mattress is available in six sizes, and it has a 120-night trial period and a 15-year warranty.
This mattress’ medium-firm combination of latex and gel memory foam has built-in cooling technology, the company say.
They also highlight the product’s three layers of support, including an aerated latex foam layer, a gel memory foam layer, and a high-density base.
The company advertise the mattress as soft, yet supportive for those who sleep on their stomachs, sides, and backs.
GhostBed offer a 100-night free trial and free returns, as well as a 20-year warranty. The mattress is available in six sizes.
Saatva classic mattress
A person can choose a soft, medium, or firm version of this hybrid mattress, but the company recommend the firm version for people who sleep on their stomachs.
The company highlight that their mattress has:
- durable steel coil support for longevity
- spinal zone technology for pressure relief
- individually wrapped coils to provide contouring
- perimeter edge support for durability
- a pillowtop layer for added comfort
The mattress is available in eight sizes, and it has a trial period of 180 nights and a 15-year warranty.
Helix Dawn mattress
This has a firm feel, and the company say that it is suitable for those who sleep on their stomachs and backs.
They also highlight the mattress’:
- base layer of DuraDense foam for support
- wrapped coils, which help with contouring
- polyfoam, which provides ergonomic support
- latex-foam hybrid contouring
- cover, which helps with airflow
It is available in six sizes, and the company provide a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
If shopping in person, ask the salesperson for some time alone to lie on each mattress. If shopping online, check the mattress’s guarantee and warranty, and opt for one that has an in-home trial period.
When choosing a new mattress, consider:
- The reason for a new one: If a person is in pain, they may be sleeping on the wrong kind of mattress. If the mattress has deteriorated, ensure that the new mattress has a warranty.
- The best level of firmness: For those who sleep on their stomachs, a firm mattress may be a better option.
- The size: Six or eight sizes may be available, for example.
A person should also consider their preferred material, such as memory foam, latex, or a hybrid of foam and coils.
Finding the right mattress can require some trial and error, but a firmer mattress may be more suitable for those who sleep on their stomach.
When buying a mattress, a person should consider why they are buying a new mattress, their sleeping position, the firmness, and what materials the mattress is made from.