We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
MYX and Peloton are different brands that sell exercise bikes for home use. Both offer two smart bikes for purchase, a standard and a premium option. They also offer subscription-based apps that provide access to live and on-demand classes.
This article reviews the MYX and Peloton brands and their exercise bikes. It also explores alternative bike brands, cycling pros and cons, and frequently asked questions.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
MYX and Peloton are fitness companies selling various exercise equipment and fitness accessories:
MYX has been manufacturing bikes for home workouts since 2016. The company markets itself as a complete home gym, as its products also come with other accessories. These include:
- heart rate monitors
- workout mats
- resistance bands
Its products are available only to people living in the United States. The company states that orders may take up to 5 weeks to arrive, depending on the customer’s location.
In addition, the MYX membership allows customers to access different workout classes and an online community of coaches.
Peloton has been in business since 2012. It manufactures bikes, treadmills, and other fitness accessories, such as heart rate monitors, weights, headphones, and bike mats.
The company has an app that comes with a 30-day free trial. The app allows customers to access workout classes, such as cycling, cardio, yoga, Pilates, and meditation. Additionally, a person can create one Peloton membership for the whole family.
MYX exercise bikes are rustproof and hypoallergenic.
Some other features include:
- a maximum user weight of 350 pounds (lb)
- a 21.5-inch (in) high definition (HD) interactive touchscreen for workout options
- mechanical friction braking and a 41-lb flywheel for smooth rides
- music volume controls
- handlebar height and depth adjustability
The bikes are compact, so they may suit individuals with limited workout space. They are 54 in long by 21 in wide and weigh 134 lb.
People can try the exercise bike for 30 days and request a full refund within this period if they are dissatisfied with it. MYX also offers a 1-year warranty.
People can also purchase a subscription to a monthly membership which costs $39 per month.
The app offers:
- workout programs
- up to five user profiles
- heart rate monitoring
- one-on-one coaching with fitness instructors
The MYX II model features a stationary Star Trac bike and an interactive touchscreen.
The MYX exercise bike features:
- a stationary Star Trac bike
- an interactive touchscreen tablet
- a heart rate monitor
- data collection of heart rate, speed, distance, and cadence
- web camera for interactive workouts
The MYX exercise bike is available in two colors: natural white and deep charcoal.
The MYX II costs $1,399. The company offers a financing plan that allows purchasers to pay in installments.
MYX II Plus
The MYX II Plus option features the same bike and features as the standard version, with the addition of various exercise equipment, including:
- a stabilizing mat
- an oversized exercise mat
- a 6-piece weight set
- a kettlebell
- a heart rate monitor
- a resistance band
- a foam roller
The weight set consists of 6 dumbbells and a kettlebell available in light, medium, or heavy weight options. Customers can purchase an additional weight rack for $150.
At the time of publishing, this product costs $1,599. The company offers a financing plan that allows people to pay in installments.
Peloton offers two bikes: the Peloton Bike and the Peloton Bike+. Both models include a 30-day free home trial, a 12-month limited warranty, and delivery and assembly.
Some additional features include:
- a maximum user weight of 297 lb
- delta compatible aluminum pedals
- adjustable seat, handlebars, and screen
- different user profiles for family access
- workout history and milestones
These bikes are 59 in long and up to 23 in wide.
Customers can purchase a subscription to the Peloton app to access virtual classes for $39 per month.
The Peloton Bike weighs 135 lb and has the following features:
- a 21.5-in HD touchscreen
- a resistance knob
- a maximum user weight of 297 lb
- magnetic resistance with mechanical adjustment
The company offers a financing plan that allows purchasers to pay in installments.
Customers can purchase different Peloton Bike packages with extra products and features:
- Bike Basics: The Peloton Bike Basic package costs $1,445 and includes only the bike.
- Bike Starter: The Peloton Bike Starter package costs $1,670 and also includes a pair of cycling shoes, light weights, and a bike mat.
- Bike Select: The Peloton Bike Select package costs $1,775 and also includes a water bottle and a heart rate band.
- Bike Ultimate: The Peloton Bike Ultimate package costs $1,885-$1,985 and also includes a reversible workout mat and dumbbells.
The Peloton Bike+ weighs 140 lb and has the following features:
- a 23.8-in rotating HD touchscreen
- a resistance knob that adjusts automatically to the instructors’ recommended resistance
- Apple GymKit integration
- a maximum user weight of 297 lb
- magnetic resistance with digital adjustment
- reduced-reflective and anti-smudge coating
Peloton offers a financing plan that allows purchasers to pay in installments.
Customers can purchase different Peloton Bike+ packages with extra products and features:
- Bike Basics: The Peloton Bike+ Basic package costs $1,995 and includes only the bike.
- Bike Starter: The Peloton Bike+ Starter package costs $2,220 and also includes a pair of cycling shoes, light weights, and a bike mat.
- Bike Select: The Peloton Bike+ Select package costs $2,325 and also includes a water bottle and a heart rate band.
- Bike Ultimate: The Peloton Bike+ Ultimate package costs $2,435-$2,535 and also includes a reversible workout mat and dumbbells.
Below is a side by side comparison of the above products currently available from MYX and Peloton:
|MYX||MYX II||Peloton Bike||Peloton Bike+|
|Weight capacity||350 lbs||350 lbs||297 lbs||297 lbs|
|Touchscreen?||Yes, 21.5-inch||Yes, 21.5-inch||Yes, 21.5-inch||Yes, 23.8-inch|
|Colors||White or charcoal||White or charcoal||Black||Black|
|Warranty||1-year, plus 30-day trial||1-year, plus 30-day trial||1 year limited, plus 30-day trial||1 year limited, plus 30-day trial|
(L x W x H)
|Additional features||Heart rate monitor, web camera for interactive workouts||6-piece weight set, kettlebell, foam roller, stabilizer mat, exercise mat, resistance band||Resistance knob||360-degree rotating screen, Apple GymKit integration, reduced reflective and anti-smudge coating|
Online reviews for both MYX and Peloton vary, with many positive and negative reviews available online:
At the time of publishing this article, MYX has a review rating of 1.2 out of 5 with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, it has accreditation and an A+ from the BBB. MYX actively addresses and closes complaints.
Negative reviews focus on shipping delays and a lack of communication from the company.
One positive review mentions that the customer received their bike after 12 weeks but that they were happy with the bike’s features.
MYX Fitness has a rating of 3 out of 5 on Trustpilot. Criticisms include that the MYX online classes are not as engaging or varied as Peloton’s and that the technology and customer service are unreliable.
One positive review praises a quick and helpful response from customer service.
At the time of publishing this article, Peloton has a review rating of 1.23 out of 5 with the BBB. It does not have accreditation and has a D+ rating from the BBB. Peloton actively addresses and closes complaints.
Negative reviews frequently mention delivery delays and customer service issues.
Positive reviews frequently praise the quality and variety of the online classes and technology.
Peloton has an average review rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Trustpilot. Negative reviews mention the customer service team not responding to emails and customers experiencing shipping delays and difficulty securing refunds. They also mention the high monthly cost.
Positive reviews mention excellent customer service, and several purchasers state that the Peloton app and classes have helped them reach their fitness goals.
Some other brands that manufacture similar exercise bikes include:
- NordicTrack: This company manufactures commercial, recumbent, and upright bikes, all of which come with different features. NordicTrack also sells rowing machines, fitness mirrors, and treadmills. Learn more about NordicTrack here.
- Echelon: This company offers four bikes with on-demand fitness classes. Customers can connect their equipment with apps such as Strava, Zwift, Apple Health, and FitBit. Learn more about Echelon here.
- ProForm: This company sells a range of home exercise equipment, including bikes. Through iFit, users can access live and on-demand classes. ProForm is generally similar to or lower cost than Peloton and MYX. Learn more about ProForm bikes here.
Indoor cycling offers various benefits and risks. Before purchasing one, people should also consider how to use an exercise bike safely.
- reducing cholesterol levels
- reducing blood pressure
- improving triglyceride levels
- improving aerobic activity
Cycling on a stationary bike for 30 minutes can burn 210–441 calories, depending on the person’s weight and intensity of the workout.
Doing activities that burn calories may help people maintain a moderate weight. However, the amount of calories a person burns during exercise depends on several factors, including the intensity of the workout.
Learn more about the health benefits of cycling here.
Cons and safety considerations
Individuals should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, as this can help prevent injuries.
Some common cycling injuries include:
- neck and back pain
- wrist or forearm pain
- knee injuries
- numbness and tingling in the foot
People with a heart condition, neck pain, or back pain attending group classes should ride bikes at their own pace until their symptoms improve.
The AHA also suggests cooling down after working out. If a person stops exercising suddenly, they may experience lightheadedness, causing the heart rate to drop rapidly.
The following are common questions and answers about MYX and Peloton:
Is MYX as good as Peloton?
Generally, both MYX and Peloton receive positive customer reviews.
Both brands offer live and on-demand classes. MYX does not offer the competitive features that Peloton does.
MYX bikes use friction resistance, making them slightly louder and less smooth than bikes with magnetic resistance, such as Peloton. However, MYX bikes are smaller and more likely to suit small spaces.
A person’s preference between MYX and Peloton will depend on their needs. However, MYX and Peloton are similar in features and customer ratings.
Who should buy a Peloton bike?
A person who wants to train regularly or competitively may prefer a Peloton bike because of its smart features and connectivity to other users.
Peloton offers various live and on-demand classes to suit different fitness goals. It also allows users to compete with other Peloton owners.
Who should buy an MYX bike?
MYX bikes may suit people looking for a low cost indoor bike or beginners to indoor cycling.
Users of an MYX bike will receive more personalized feedback than Peloton users. It may suit people who want to improve their health and fitness without looking for competitive training.
Can you watch Netflix on an MYX or Peloton bike?
No, a person cannot use the Netflix app on either MYX or Peloton bikes.
Do you need special shoes for an MYX or Peloton bike?
The MYX bike does not require a person to purchase special shoes.
Peloton does sell shoes designed for wear with their bikes at an additional cost. However, these are not essential, and a person can wear regular sneakers. Peloton does recommend a person to use the toe cages which attach to the pedals if a person wears other footwear.
Does MYX have live classes?
Yes, MYX now offers live classes when a person subscribes to the MYX Membership service.
Is Peloton or MYX better for beginners?
Both brands claim that their bikes are suitable for beginners. They can both offer low impact and short cycle rides that will suit those just starting with using indoor bikes.
Some beginners may prefer to purchase the MYX as it is low cost but offers similar features to Peloton.
People should compare MYX and Peloton exercise bikes before purchasing from one of these companies, as their bikes come with different features, accessories, and specifications.
Research suggests that indoor cycling can have many health benefits. However, people should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions while using equipment, as this can reduce the risk of injury.